NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Uhhuh that's why Greece has the Organization of Industrial Property right?
    Huh? So copyright in general and software patents are one and the same? Now we are talking or we are farting deanjo?

LMFAO, ya Google, Intel, AMD, and Nokia make shitloads off opensource.... right. Keep dreaming. You would be lucky if it accounted for 1% of their revenue.
    Hehehe really? Android and Meego must be just for fun then...They don't know what to do with their time and they experiment with opensource for the future...

So you bitch about someone else closing off avenues for your use? That's called being a hypocrite.
    The fact that the code is open is hypocritical then? Or the fact that everyone can use it for his own benefit even for commercial purposes (speaking for GPL) is hypocritical? Are you kidding me deanjo?

Bullshit, my own code goes PD where everybody can use it of their own free will if they want. That is my choice. I also develop stuff just for me, that is my prerogative. I also help develop GPL stuff for my employer, that is his prerogative. No one philosophy is the "best" as every situation is different.

What am I? I'm a person that does not look at a situation with one myopic view and isn't dumb or naive enough to think there is only one solution to any question. I do not try to force my beliefs on others. I do not restrict use on the products I produce when I see fit because no matter how much you dislike it that is my right and my prerogative. It's not my fault you fail to grasp what fascism is.
    Noone situation is the best but you keep bitching about GPL while every proprietary license is ata least worse. I never saw you write something against Microsoft or Apple and their proprietary licenses... only the GPL and the opensource crowd as you us are the evil in your mind. Also, you prefer PD over any license because you do not care what will happen to the derivatives of your code. I DO. So because I want my code and its derivatives to stay free for ever I'm a fascist? What is everyone who uses proprietary licenses then?

Comment

With respect, I don't think I have ever seen deanjo "bitch about GPL", just push back when GPL is presented as "the answer to everything that ails us".
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        With respect, I don't think I have ever seen deanjo "bitch about GPL", just push back when GPL is presented as "the answer to everything that ails us".
        Yeah the "fachistic ways of the opensource crowd" is just a cute title...
        I'm sorry bridgman but even for a greek my english aren't that bad.

Comment

Can someone give me the Coles Notes version to what the past argument is about? Why would someone argue about OpenGL? I'll be reading about this because I really am unfamiliar with the OpenGL situation and I read and was told that Linux OpenGL is in a better shape than even OpenGL in Windows! Is that accurate?

I still haven't been convinced that the ATI open source situation is so great. I think it's underfunded and I figure that both ATI and Nvidia are Windows-oriented companies but way too excessively. No one agrees with this? How can you disagree? The cards aren't made to 'work in Linux!' Do Nvidia and ATI have Linux devs in the manufacturing and engineering locales when they're produced? The problem is that the companies have a small group of Linux-based engineers to deal with the architecture but choose to do it in two very different ways. This is my perspective. Nvidia chooses to be the most evil with just interpreting via Windows-based code(?) and replacing X with it. ATI, do they try some integrating with even the binary driver? The FOSS driver is said to be the most ideal but I've even read of complaints that there is some 'control' or restrictions with that as well.

The problem is the resources are really thin especially with ATI. I guess this is whining but it doesn't change the reality. Not sure how to solve the problem either but I don't see how arguing about OpenGL will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            Yeah the "fachistic ways of the opensource crowd" is just a cute title...
            I'm sorry bridgman but even for a greek my english aren't that bad.
            It must be because your quoting something I did not say.

Comment

Indeed... we are farting...

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Huh? So copyright in general and software patents are one and the same? Now we are talking or we are farting deanjo?
                100% Approval Success for Provisional Patent Services. Trademarkia Patent Express assists inventors with Provisional, Design & Utility Patent Applications. Submit a Global PCT Patent Application today.

Hehehe really? Android and Meego must be just for fun then...They don't know what to do with their time and they experiment with opensource for the future...
                LMFAO, Uh huh, look at the cost of those licenses. Google has their cash cow in Ads and Intel makes it's money off it's hardware and proprietary licenses.

The fact that the code is open is hypocritical then? Or the fact that everyone can use it for his own benefit even for commercial purposes (speaking for GPL) is hypocritical? Are you kidding me deanjo?
                No the fact that you bitch about group A cutting off avenues of uses but group B does does the same thing just through different means.

Noone situation is the best but you keep bitching about GPL while every proprietary license is ata least worse. I never saw you write something against Microsoft or Apple and their proprietary licenses... only the GPL and the opensource crowd as you us are the evil in your mind.
                I've written software over the years using the various licenses proprietary, opensource, and truly free PD. They all have their uses and places. I'm not one to dictate what what license it is unless the project is 100% completely my own and in that case I will put it out as PD if I decide to release it to the wild where everybody who wants can use it however they wish with zero forced obligation. If I'm writing for a employer or hired to do custom code I'll put it under whatever license they want given that it does not infringe on existing licenses restrictions.

Also, you prefer PD over any license because you do not care what will happen to the derivatives of your code. I DO.
                Quite the opposite. I want my code to benefit EVERYONE. What they do with it I leave up to them to decide. If they want to make changes and keep it to themselves, that's fine with me, if they want to release their changes, that's fine with me. My contribution remains for everybody to use, what they do with their contribution is for them to decide.

So because I want my code and its derivatives to stay free for ever I'm a fascist? What is everyone who uses proprietary licenses then?
                I never said you were a fascist, I pointed out though how the idealism of fascism has more in line with open source organizations then a entity such as nVidia where it practices capitalism more then anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Exactly, the GPL is not the "Holy Grail" that some would like to make it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    I never said you were a fascist, I pointed out though how the idealism of fascism has more in line with open source organizations then a entity such as nVidia where it practices capitalism more then anything else.
                    Problem is, the ways of companies such as Nvidia and MS (to name a couple of companies with controversies) operating under the guise of capitalism doesn't necessarily mean it's an acceptable thing especially when one might perceive the motive to be overbalanced on the side of greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      Problem is, the ways of companies such as Nvidia and MS (to name a couple of companies with controversies) operating under the guise of capitalism doesn't necessarily mean it's an acceptable thing especially when one might perceive the motive to be overbalanced on the side of greed.
                      And that's got to be the most retarded view of companies frankly. Every company is out there to make as much money as they can. If these people would open there eyes they would realize this.

People groan and gripe about nvidia having their own solutions yet pretty much every company out there does this. I never saw AMD make Eyefinity a open standard for example, their refusing to license out 3rd party chipsets now, and then there is the shenanigans of intel locking out competition on the OEM front and as well as crippling compilers and such when using the competitions hardware, and don't forget the killing of Havok FX which was going to be supported by ATi and nVidia. There are tonnes of these proprietary actions out there by pretty much every single tech company. Google makes it's money off it's closed source search engine and advertising. If Google didn't have that or open sourced it in the beginning chances are that Google would have never became close to the size it is now with the ability to support open endeavors as well . These people just have to take the blinders off and take a look at the whole picture.

Comment

Working...
                      X