Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 10.04, Geforce 4, low resolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 10.04, Geforce 4, low resolution.

I have installed Kubuntu Lucid on my friend's old desktop with Geforce 4 graphic card. After installing nvidia driver it gives me only 640x480 resolution and lower. How to force nvidia driver to show 1024x768? Probably I need to edit xorg.conf and it will force nvidia driver to use 1024x768, but I don't know how to do it right.

Please help.

output of `xrandr` please?

Comment

miljan@miljan-pc:~$ xrandr
      Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 640 x 480, maximum 640 x 480
      default connected 640x480+0+0 0mm x 0mm
      640x480 50.0*
      320x240 51.0

Comment

Most likely you did not install it correctly. Since lucid ubuntu is basically incompatible with nvidia/ati installers in pure mode. For ati there is a buildpkg option, but for nvidia you have to use prepackaged drivers from a 3rd party when you don't want to break the system and want latest drivers. Did you use jockey to install it?

Comment

First thing I did after clean install is to install nvidia proprietary driver from hardrware drivers.

Comment

Well maybe just keep nouveau, the card is outdated anyway and nouveau has even kms.

Comment

Desktop effects are very important, thats why my friend whanted to try Kubuntu. Thats why I have to go with proprietary driver. They work very smooth but resolution is problem. I will try to edit xorg.conf somehow. I google a bit and found few "solutions"

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle View Post
                Desktop effects are very important, thats why my friend whanted to try Kubuntu. Thats why I have to go with proprietary driver. They work very smooth but resolution is problem. I will try to edit xorg.conf somehow. I google a bit and found few "solutions"
                You might run the `nvidia-settings` program under sudo

Comment

Make sure you have the correct driver for the card. NVIDIA produces a legacy driver for any card 5xxx and lower, and GeForce 4 may have been deprecated. Run the following and send us the output:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep -i "Driver"

lsmod | grep -i nv

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Comment

Working...
                  X