NVIDIA Puts Out Two Drivers, Including For OpenGL 4.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    I don't, actually. If I did, I'd have said since the "last terran month" (as measured on the surface of the planet). "Last month" on its own is quite relative, indeed.
    Well in that case, nvidia had openGL 4.1 support 269 years before AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Well in that case, nvidia had openGL 4.1 support 269 years before AMD.
      Ah, built on linux 2.5. This explains why their drivers crash when you dynload libGL!

Comment

Ah, built on linux 2.5. This explains why their drivers crash when you dynload libGL!
        Do you have a code example somewhere?

Comment

Do you have a code example somewhere?
          Yes, but it's written in C# and is buried inside the Win32 part of a 850KLoc, open-source project. (The Linux part thankfully uses a slightly different approach that doesn't crash, but the driver bug affects both operating systems). I can provide a link if you wish.

This is a 260.xx-specific bug, where the driver crashes under some very specific circumstancse:
          1. you create two threads
          2. you load OpenGL dynamically on thread 1 (instead of linking with -lGL)
          3. you create an OpenGL context on each thread

If all three hold, the crash occurs as soon as you call MakeCurrent on either thread. If you load OpenGL before creating the 2nd thread, the crash doesn't occur.

The issue is known to Nvidia, we are just waiting for a fix (ever since 260.99 was released).

Comment

I can provide a link if you wish.
            Please do.

The issue is known to Nvidia, we are just waiting for a fix (ever since 260.99 was released).
            Have you tried the 265.90 drivers?

Comment

You should know by now that time is relative.
              Is that AMD/ATI's motto, too? I guess that's why they can take *forever* to support recent cards... Q: When's support coming? A: "In Time..."

Comment

Please do.
                This test case reproduces the issue: Multithreading.cs. The initialization logic is here: WinGLContext.cs.

Toggling "threaded optimization" in nvidia settings avoids this issue. This thread [opengl.org] and this thread [nvnews] also refer to this issue (there are more).

Have you tried the 265.90 drivers?
                Unfortunately, I cannot install beta drivers on my workstation. I'll try to build a scratch machine for testing.

Comment

Working...
                X