X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmorph
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    That's understandable, but it is kind of the point of Debian stable not to install new version of drivers.
    Yes - because they are not known to be stable. But that problem doesn't exist with blobs coming from HW vendors, as they will anyway target their drivers to current stable release (i.e. the driver usually works properly there, if anywhere).
    It's not just drivers, you'll have problems installing any recent software.
    Well there we agree.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    If you choose to complain about the process of installing a blob because you're doing it by hand, and are rejecting distributions which do not require you to do it by hand, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. I suppose you hate butter because you churn butter by hand too?
    I don't run a binary blob, you have me confused with somebody else.

I used to run a binary blob back when I was stuck with an Nvidia chipset on my laptop. IT wasn't enjoyable. And if I had used Ubuntu, then I'd have to suffer through Ubuntu, which is much worse than installing a blob by hand.

Now I run a free system, where everything is built from source and managed by a package manager. If you suggest that I should switch to Ubuntu (which I don't like) just so I can run a blob (which I don't like), then it's a strange suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    That's understandable, but it is kind of the point of Debian stable not to install new version of drivers.

It's not just drivers, you'll have problems installing any recent software.

Leave a comment:

• pmorph
    replied
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

On gentoo, you need to compile your own kernel, but other than that, it's "emerge -u @world"
    Fine, but not so useful in my case, as I like to run Debian stable.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Why should I switch to Ubuntu in order run binary blobs, when I can upgrade open source drivers with a one-liner?

My Nvidia laptop died, BTW, and KDE 4 never worked properly on it.

Switching to open source drivers was the best thing ever. I can take some FPS drop for the convenience and code.
    If you choose to complain about the process of installing a blob because you're doing it by hand, and are rejecting distributions which do not require you to do it by hand, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. I suppose you hate butter because you churn butter by hand too?

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Why should I switch to Ubuntu in order run binary blobs, when I can upgrade open source drivers with a one-liner?

My Nvidia laptop died, BTW, and KDE 4 never worked properly on it.

Switching to open source drivers was the best thing ever. I can take some FPS drop for the convenience and code.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    And this is my experience the last time I installed the nvidia drivers:

- download the blob
    - install the blob
    - black screen, no X
    - revert to nv, log into X
    - open browser
    - google
    - oh, they dropped support for my card, you need legacy drivers
    - google
    - find the legacy drivers
    - download the blob
    - install the blob
    - KDE still broken
    - oh, sorry, that's a legacy driver, we aren't fixing that
    - buy AMD

At the end of the day, both Nvidia and AMD have their blobs, which offer maximum performance if you're willing to put up with them.

With AMD, you have the choice of using a free stack, including X, Mesa, libdrm and the kernel.

It's good that we have this choice.
    Ubuntu uses a list of PCI IDs to reference which drivers support what cards when using Jockey. Sounds like you should look into Ubuntu. It would reduce your steps to:

1. Launch Jockey
    2. Install Driver for (NVidia || AMD)
    3. Reboot

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    And this is my experience the last time I installed the nvidia drivers:

- download the blob
    - install the blob
    - black screen, no X
    - revert to nv, log into X
    - open browser
    - google
    - oh, they dropped support for my card, you need legacy drivers
    - google
    - find the legacy drivers
    - download the blob
    - install the blob
    - KDE still broken
    - oh, sorry, that's a legacy driver, we aren't fixing that
    - buy AMD

At the end of the day, both Nvidia and AMD have their blobs, which offer maximum performance if you're willing to put up with them.

With AMD, you have the choice of using a free stack, including X, Mesa, libdrm and the kernel.

It's good that we have this choice.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    How often does apt-get fail for you?

In many years of using Debian, I can't remember a single time.

With Gentoo, the issue is slightly different, but this is due to Gentoo's nature, not the packaging itself. Installing drivers on Gentoo is no more or less complicated than installing anything else.

But if you're convinced that running binaries from third-party sites as root is more convenient than using your distro's package manager, then I won't be able to convince you anyway.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

On gentoo, you need to compile your own kernel, but other than that, it's "emerge -u @world"
    You obviously missed the "has never failed and required user to investigate the reason" part of his request.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X