X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF3 works with the same driver as GF4.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      ati ... I always buy the cutting edge 3D gpus so the 3D CG world can keep its pace and we will have more photo realistic renders year after year. and leave the old rusty stinky e-waste to you.

in other words fsck you ati!

people who accepts and prefers the ancient hardware and bragging for prolong their lives just don't get it: if we are all happy with hardware 10 years old there will be no such an industry as the "IT" industry, why do we need quad cores? The celeron 300A works just fine! We do we need GTX 480 Quad SLI? The Rage 128 works just fine! If no one pushes the industry forward, we will all be like you, unfortunately I rely on the industry to be pushed forward constantly to make millions, I'm not yet another basement script kiddo.
      Wait what?

You are writting this if there is no future in Ati? All he is saying is that ancient Ati graphic cards might be better supported than the ancient nvidia cards, which is true. Because Ati has released specs for all those ancient cards.

If I were to buy a new moderne graphic card, it would definetly be Ati.
      1. Because since fglrx 10.6, everything on my desktop has been running like a chicken with a firecracker in its ass. It's even stable.
      2. Well I don't think I have to say, that 5xxx buttkick nvidia's 4xx series in almost every aspect.

Comment

this is becoming a stupid flamefest

i'll just nitpick at this one
        If fashion industry people are like you, there will be no fashion industry because cloths from 50 years ago can also keep you warm! What's the purpose?
        seriously, fashion industry doesn't really care about geeks, and men in general. and clothes don't generally last 50 years.

i'd say that takes away one pro-nvidia argument that they had over ati - they still maintained legacy drivers.

maybe that's what got people so upset, because they feel that next driver is going to go obsolete soon as well.

i wish nvidia would release the specs for that old hardware, since they don't plan to support it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          i wish nvidia would release the specs for that old hardware, since they don't plan to support it anymore.
          Why would they? Their customers do not care for FLOSS when their cards go obsolete, otherwise they would have picked up a faster-for-the-money ATI card, don't you think? Their chose; let them buy new cards that rule the world instead and let them pay too much money for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
            Wait what?

You are writting this if there is no future in Ati? All he is saying is that ancient Ati graphic cards might be better supported than the ancient nvidia cards, which is true. Because Ati has released specs for all those ancient cards.

If I were to buy a new moderne graphic card, it would definetly be Ati.
            1. Because since fglrx 10.6, everything on my desktop has been running like a chicken with a firecracker in its ass. It's even stable.
            2. Well I don't think I have to say, that 5xxx buttkick nvidia's 4xx series in almost every aspect.
            Completely offtopic, but I'm not sure that a chicken with a firecracker up its arse would be that stable.

Comment

Oh yeah, what a flame-fest.

I'd like to note that the open source world also has major problems with support of old hardware. Few people own old hardware and even fewer developers still care about it.
              The Matrox MGA, Radeon 128 and SiS drivers, for example, are in a pretty bad shape, barely work and are degrading fast as they're not actively maintained. IIRC older Intel IGPs are problematic as well.

Open Source doesn't magically make everything unicorns and rainbows.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                Oh yeah, what a flame-fest.

I'd like to note that the open source world also has major problems with support of old hardware. Few people own old hardware and even fewer developers still care about it.
                The Matrox MGA, Radeon 128 and SiS drivers, for example, are in a pretty bad shape, barely work and are degrading fast as they're not actively maintained. IIRC older Intel IGPs are problematic as well.

Open Source doesn't magically make everything unicorns and rainbows.
                Read about that 3Dfx article? There you go X-)

Comment

If I have to choose between a product that works when I purchase it (Nvidia) and a product that works when it has been obsoleted, I prefer the former.

Comment

Are you saying that ATi and Intel hardware does not work?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Are you saying that ATi and Intel hardware does not work?
                      If referring to intel poulsbo/moorestown, I would have to somewhat agree. If referring to ati of several years ago, I would also have to agree there.

As for video cards being obsolete... well that REALLY depends on what you do/need of them. If you like playing video games (i.e. have no life), then you may not be satisfied with a GPU of a decade ago. On the other hand, if you are more interested in productivity, engineering, or servers -- you know, much more PRODUCTIVE uses for computation, then the power of the GPU becomes FAR FAR less relevant.

MUCH more important than balls-to-the-wall performance out of a proprietary blob driver is OUT OF THE BOX SUPPORT. This is something that nvidia TOTALLY LACKS. AMD, unless you are looking at the newest and fastest GPUs they produce, has virtually perfect out of the box support and the SAME kind of support for the newest and fastest as nvidia via their blob driver.

Now one of the MAJOR problems I have with nvidia is with their blob driver's reliability and compatibility. They do NOT support Linux in the way that is most compatible with the system. Even POULSBO is better since they have at least implemented things like KMS. Nvidia? Just keep doin' it the OLD way..... and occasionally break totally so that your users can't do normal things like switching VTs.

So no thanks. I'm finished suffering with nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X