No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm aware of the poulsbo disaster, and some of the remaining issues with the latest ATi hardware using the blob.

But I still cannot agree with the statement that only Nvidia hardware works and other hardware does not work.

When it comes to latest hardware and a binary blob, virtually all hardware works.

Comment

I'll pick on the "buy a new card already" from the first page. Also what droidhacker said.

Last time I bought a mobo it did everything I wanted, and was 20e cheaper than one with an IGP. So I put in a working card from the closet (Rage II+dvd IIRC). Now Why The Fsck should I have bought a new card?

Comment

^^^ because of the fashion industry.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Are you saying that ATi and Intel hardware does not work?
          Sure the hardware works, but drivers, not so much. I've yet to purchase a *new* ATi videocard that gives me a *working* 3D and video out-of-the box (on Linux). And I've yet to purchase a new Nvidia videocard that didn't give me those things out-of-the box. By *working* I mean something that you can actually use in everyday life, not stuff that is proven to work in some special case.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
            Sure the hardware works, but drivers, not so much. I've yet to purchase a *new* ATi videocard that gives me a *working* 3D and video out-of-the box (on Linux). And I've yet to purchase a new Nvidia videocard that didn't give me those things out-of-the box. By *working* I mean something that you can actually use in everyday life, not stuff that is proven to work in some special case.
            Would you care to give some examples there at all?

Comment

I haven't used fglrx for I think about a year and even with KDE4 it worked out of the box for a long time with my hd4870x2. It had been working much longer before that but I simply didn't know because that card turned out to be dead (it frequently crashed as in deadlocked, but didn't when I used an hd3300, same core). Now if you are 6months behind the Fedora X.org releases it always worked for me.

Comment

PS and the fact that it doesn't work for Wine doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that the Wine hacks are made for nCrap cards (see what I did there? ).

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                  Nvidia does not work out of the box, it does not work at all until you install the binary driver.

Fglrx offers similar performance on new ATi hardware that the Nvidia driver does on Nvidia hardware. Not as polished maybe, but claiming that 3d does not work at all is very bold.

Which card are you talking about and when was this? What exactly does not work in everyday life?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    nvidia .... i buy amd hardware so i get full spec and full support after the live time of the commercial use.

in other words fuck you nvidia!
                    full spec and full support... what driver do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                      full spec and full support... what driver do you use?
                      His card is not at the end of commercial support yet, but nice try,,,

Comment

Working...
                      X