NVIDIA 256 Beta Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patstew View Post
    As I understand it, the nvidia driver does kernel mode setting, and has done for some time. The nvidia driver also shouldn't need the X server to be run as root so long as the user is in the video group, ie can write to /dev/nvidia.
    What the nvidia driver doesn't have is a decent framebuffer driver (which is probably what you mean by kms).
    See this thread, post 5 is by an nvidia driver dev http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&highlight=kms
    Thanks for the link. That was illuminating.

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
      As i understand, distros are starting to push x.org out of kernel space
      You've understood wrong. Former parts of X.org (modesetting and memory management) were pushed into kernel space. Not out of it. Long story short, now the privileged operations (hardware management) happen in kernel and X server can very soon be run without root privileges.

Comment

on my GTS250 i don't see any improvements (when KWin is active anyway) in Unigine Heaven 2.0 ~701pts @ 1920x1200,noAA,16xAF,all active

Comment

(stupid 1minute edit timeout rule)

my previous run with 195.36.15: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...4&postcount=10

Comment

and another thing worth mentioning: the OpenGL renderer in Unigine Heaven 2.0 does not run tests 7, 10 and 12 ( you only get a black screen ) while the DX9, DX10, DX11 renderers will run them so any cross platform/renderer comparisons are rather broken

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post

and another thing worth mentioning: the OpenGL renderer in Unigine Heaven 2.0 does not run tests 7, 10 and 12 ( you only get a black screen ) while the DX9, DX10, DX11 renderers will run them so any cross platform/renderer comparisons are rather broken
              I HATE that stupid rule too! There is no way to edit that 1 minute edit rule either... I just make double or triple posts as a consequence.

The new driver isn't bad. I am trying it in windows 7 right now and playing starcraft 2 beta with it. So far the glitches I'm experiencing are most likely game related anyway... I had some problems with on board gpu causing issues too, but fix was to disable on-board gfx.

Comment

BOINC becomes extremely unstable for me with this driver. I'm crunching for gpugrid with 2 470s. Frequent lock-ups, powermizer wont leave desktop mode on 2nd gpu, boinc process requiring 'kill -9' to restore functionality to desktop (if I'm lucky enough to not lock up)

Worst thing is I can't find anyone else experiencing this.

Comment

Working...
                X