Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From NVIDIA's Next Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
    I would like more optimized drivers for desktop usage.

I don't know if it's NVidia fault, but moving the scroll wheel up/down in a Firefox window is a LOT faster in Windows.
    Also minimizing/maximizing/moving/etc feels laggy in Linux (KDE with composite).
    Actually that's the Linux kernel's fault. It's completely unoptimized for desktop computers. I know this because the problem happens with both nVidia and AMD cards. It happens to pretty much everyone, but most people don't notice it or don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
      Actually that's the Linux kernel's fault. It's completely unoptimized for desktop computers. I know this because the problem happens with both nVidia and AMD cards. It happens to pretty much everyone, but most people don't notice it or don't care.
      Or maybe Firefox is not optimized for Linux. Other browsers perform well.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Or maybe Firefox is not optimized for Linux. Other browsers perform well.
        Only Chrome performs well. But unfortunately it performs even better on XP.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          OMG thats the most FUD I've seen all year all boiled into one post.

Linus designed Linux as a replacement for his desktop computer's DOS operating system.

Comment

No, NVIDIA. We expect you to die.

scnr

Comment

KMS support, specs for the Nouveau guys, and no more IP gibberish.

The only reason I'm still sticking with NVIDIA is VDPAU.

Oh, and if it is related in any way to NVIDIA development, better support for KDE4: I still miss resizing a window (in Compiz) with NO CPU usage whatsoever.

Comment

nvidia driver breaks remote desktop (vnc/vino)

I just want remote desktop to work again with the nvidia driver:

Comment

My vote: Hot plugging and saved profiles (for laptops).

As it stands now, I have to use 2 xorg.conf files for "docked" vs "mobile" mode. The docked mode requires metamode modes to enable 640x480 on the secondary monitor (starcraft . The mobile mode disables twinview and keeps the mouse from wandering offscreen. Switching requires copying the desired file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restarting the desktop (Alt-sys-K).

Side note for who insist on throwing temper tantrums: you are not helping! Working with sup-par drivers is definitely frustrating. However, I appreciate the effort of both NVidia and AMD in their open source endeavors. Could they do more? Sure! We must all do our part. If we are unable to code, then we must contribute in different ways. We can start with constructive criticism and feedback-nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by darinmiller View Post
                    I appreciate the effort of both NVidia and AMD in their open source endeavors
                    Why do you appreaciate NVidia's oss endeavors? They are doing nothing for the oss world.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                      No, NVIDIA. We expect you to die.

scnr
                      That means no competition with ATI, that means monopoly, that means ATI will have no incentive for R&D and for price cuts.

No, I don't want NVIDIA to die anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X