Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want From NVIDIA's Next Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great article Michael!
    Rob
    email: [email protected]

Comment

I would like driver version numbers that actually made sense. 256?? So their next version after that will be 512 right? This is probably Atari's fault to have invented naming their consoles in multiples of 2600.

I haven't used a nvidia graphics card in a few years, and didn't realized the binary drivers were so lacking in features. Randr and powermizer support seem like big things to miss.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        That would be about the ONLY useful thing they could possibly provide. Their BLOB is entirely uninteresting and I have already decided to NEVER buy another nvidia product unless they HAND OVER EVERYTHING.

If I buy the hardware, ***I OWN IT*** and therefore MUST be able to use it in any way I want.
        Seconded.

Happy ATI/AMD customer right here

Comment

Full Xrandr >=1.2 support!

Comment

I would like more optimized drivers for desktop usage.

I don't know if it's NVidia fault, but moving the scroll wheel up/down in a Firefox window is a LOT faster in Windows.
            Also minimizing/maximizing/moving/etc feels laggy in Linux (KDE with composite).

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
              I would like more optimized drivers for desktop usage.

I don't know if it's NVidia fault, but moving the scroll wheel up/down in a Firefox window is a LOT faster in Windows.
              Also minimizing/maximizing/moving/etc feels laggy in Linux (KDE with composite).
              Well I think your best bet here is to buy AMD/ATI and use their radeon oss driver. My amd/ati card with the radeon oss driver gives by far the best desktop experience compared to the nvidia blob, i. e. fast 2d. But of course the oss driver is not yet ready in other aspects like 3d.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                Well I think your best bet here is to buy AMD/ATI and use their radeon oss driver. My amd/ati card with the radeon oss driver gives by far the best desktop experience compared to the nvidia blob, i. e. fast 2d. But of course the oss driver is not yet ready in other aspects like 3d.
                Make linux driver work faster than windows driver.
                What? Impossible? It is actually windows driver?
                Then make opensource driver for linux.
                What? Impossible? Closed source and intellectual property?

Then Im better served with AMD! Sorry nvidia!

Comment

NVidia, you need proof? See this: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23355

Comment

Latest XRandR support, specs and documentation for their hardware. Until that happens I'm staying a very happy AMD/ATI user.

Comment

What Do You Want From NVIDIA's Next Driver?
                      Radeon support of course, duh.

Comment

Working...
                      X