Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Fermi Coming, NVIDIA Releases CUDA 3.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • With Fermi Coming, NVIDIA Releases CUDA 3.0

    Phoronix: With Fermi Coming, NVIDIA Releases CUDA 3.0

    With the first of NVIDIA's GeForce 400 "Fermi" graphics cards arriving later this month, their software engineers have put out the release of CUDA 3.0. Version 3 of the Compute Unified Device Architecture has a wealth of changes including Fermi support, C++ support, a new unified interoperability API for Direct3D (including Direct3D 11.0) and OpenGL (including OpenGL 3.x/4.0), up to a 100x performance increase when debugging with cuda-gdb, a new CUDA memory checker, and support for all the OpenCL features in the latest R195 production driver package...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA4Ng

  • #2
    See, Nvidia always has far more superior driver support for Linux, most people just don't get it. With it's driver and an Nvidia GPU you can do everything you every dreamed about in Linux machine: latest OGL, latest GPGPU programming, they even providing debugging tools. So stop saying it's not open source blah blah. How can you use the open source driver, if you can't use it to render a damn triangle?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      See, Nvidia always has far more superior driver support for Linux, most people just don't get it. With it's driver and an Nvidia GPU you can do everything you every dreamed about in Linux machine: latest OGL, latest GPGPU programming, they even providing debugging tools. So stop saying it's not open source blah blah. How can you use the open source driver, if you can't use it to render a damn triangle?
      As long as it is free with the hardware and has a kernel compatibility layer so I can use it in the future, I do not care whether or not it is open source; I just want something that works.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
        See, Nvidia always has far more superior driver support for Linux, most people just don't get it. With it's driver and an Nvidia GPU you can do everything you every dreamed about in Linux machine: latest OGL, latest GPGPU programming, they even providing debugging tools. So stop saying it's not open source blah blah. How can you use the open source driver, if you can't use it to render a damn triangle?
        Yup, they even patched mplayer to use decoding acceleration, how nice. However there will be commercial apps or games that could use all of this. Seems like Windows is the way to go.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          As long as it is free with the hardware and has a kernel compatibility layer so I can use it in the future, I do not care whether or not it is open source; I just want something that works.
          Agreed. I'm really looking forward to buy a Fermi graphics card in the near future.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            Yup, they even patched mplayer to use decoding acceleration, how nice. However there will be commercial apps or games that could use all of this. Seems like Windows is the way to go.
            I use Linux because it is technically superior, not because it can save me a buck or two. Commercial and OSS do not contradict and it (commercial) certainly does not equal to Windows.

            Comment

            Working...
            X