NVIDIA Recalls Linux Drivers Over Fan Speed Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    Nvidia states they test their drivers in "special" environments bla bla bla. And they release a driver that can kill my 200$ card?
    they've released drivers that plain did't work or had obvious bugs a couple of times, so there cannot be that much testing involved.
    It's usually less of a problem since they're not tied to the 1-driver-per-month schedule and will just dish out another release. But for anyone who's daring enough to always update their nvidia-drivers to the latest release, this sure wasn't the first surprise. The first one to actually kill hardware, though.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      they've released drivers that plain did't work or had obvious bugs a couple of times, so there cannot be that much testing involved.
      It's usually less of a problem since they're not tied to the 1-driver-per-month schedule and will just dish out another release. But for anyone who's daring enough to always update their nvidia-drivers to the latest release, this sure wasn't the first surprise. The first one to actually kill hardware, though.
      There's quite a difference between a fresh driver that breaks the usability of OpenGl, and a driver that sends your gpu to a "better world".

Comment

stop trowing stones on Nvidia

Sure, they dont give out specs and docs, but at least they have a working binary driver, does amd have one? and stop complaining about the evil driver killing GPU`s!!! does somebody`s GPU "Went to a better place" because of the driver??? Dont forget, it was Nvidia Binary driver that made posible compiz, wine..... and so.I have an nvidia and wait everyday for Nouveau, but, the truth is that nouveau is not coming with decent OGL for a long time. Til then, go "Nvidia Binary Blob" thingy)

Comment

I think some GPUs did actually die.

Comment

I saw a high core temperature on my GTX260 last night (running 195.36.08, Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64) after suspend/resume. Core temp was 83C, compiz running, GPU/mem clocks @ 300/100MHz (idle).

I downgraded to 195.30 (without reboot), and the GPU temp dropped 30C to 53C. The air coming out of the back of the GPU was the same speed and temperature (measured by feeling the air).

I didn't try running Unigine Tropics or anything with 195.36.08 while the high temperature was being reported, just in case it was real. But, seeing as the air felt the same, I thought maybe it was just a driver bug reading the temperature incorrectly?
            Last edited by lem79; 07 March 2010, 01:14 AM. Reason: Add version of OS

Comment

i'm running 195.36.3 on my laptop. laptop graphics cards are cooled differently, right?

this driver is about the same for me as with other drivers. with any blob driver i've used i get around 50C to 60C at idle and 60C to 75C under load. also, my laptop fan has only sped to full speed once in the past year that i've owned it.

any of that bad?^

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                I think some GPUs did actually die.
                Wouldn't be surprised if the (defective) G84 and G86 are the first to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  no passiv is Danger (i do not make fun)! only passiv with an massiv 120X120mm or 140X140mm Fan give you a real chance to win against that kind of bug.

for exampel Furmark can burn a passiv VGA witout a real good case-fan construction.

on my system my powersuply do have a 140X140 and my CPUs do have 2KG weight heatpiped Scythe Mugen-Infinity with 2. 120X120 fan and a case fan 120x120

and my VGA is massiv heatpipep passiv cooled .

yes passive but 3 pieces of 120X120 and 1 140X140 save the system

if you build pure passiv furmark will burn your VGA! ..
                  What card do you have?

Comment

I have an nVidia 7900GS in my custom desktop and using the 195.38.08 driver. Haven't seen the anomaly yet with my card, but there should be a killswitch within the card's BIOS or temp sensor that'll shutdown the card if it overheats.

Comment

WHQL only means 'this driver will not kill windows or other drivers with WHQL certification'. There is no guarantee that it works.

oh and:
                      [nelson] HA HA [/nelson]

Comment

Working...
                      X