• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
    Watercooling FTW
    Passive cooling for the win...

Comment

Basically they are paying 250$ per test just to be able to put a windows logo sticker on their product. Read up some stuff on wikipedia and they seem to run some basic tests on the driver, wouldn't be surprised if it was fully automated and would take a hour max without any kind of input.

But this case just proves the drawbacks of em old binary blobs. Too bad Nvidia isn't planning on going open source or at least letting more people in on the thing.

Comment

I don't see how this is a problem exclusively related to closed source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Don't drivers have some sort of shut off mechanism that prevents damage to the GPU due to overheating? If not then they should.
          they do.
          and that's what happens here; the driver fails to act on a soft limit and the hardware shuts down due to a hard limit.
          You should be able to use the card again after it has cooled down (though doing this constantly will probably damage the card eventually)

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
            Watercooling FTW
            jup. When you see smoke, just dump a bucket of water on it

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              I don't see how this is a problem exclusively related to closed source drivers.

On open source drivers there is a better chance of people catching bugs and other anomalies, and getting the fix out faster.

Comment

That doesn't apply here. Nvidia is perfectly aware that there is a problem, and it's not like you would notice quicker that your card is being fried if you were using an open source driver. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't see any case were people would be more likely to find bugs or other anomalies in OSS software. As for fixing it quicker, I guess that's debatable and pretty much depends on the company, the project and the gravity of the problem we are talking about.

Comment

Dammit, you actually managed to distract me!

My original point was, how is this related in ANY way to the driver being closed source?

Comment

Well it's not related, there will be bugs like these on both blobs and OSS but the delta between the release of the driver and the fix would be usually lower on well managed OSS project(in my opinion), as you have more assets(so to speak, just more ppl that dig in the code or test the stuff more internally-like).

But Nvidia is doing a good job with their blob thingy, just saying theres still room for improvement.

Comment

"This bug could potentially kill the NVIDIA graphics card due to overheating. "

What else to say? Nvidia states they test their drivers in "special" environments bla bla bla. And they release a driver that can kill my 200$ card?

AMD may do shiity fglrx drivers, but they don't kill anyone..... if not my patience!

Comment

Working...
                      X