No announcement yet.

NVIDIA To Enhance Its X Render Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA To Enhance Its X Render Support?

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Enhance Its X Render Support?

While improved X Render support hasn't been specifically brought up by any users in our thread for What Do You Want From Linux GPU Drivers In 2010?, it looks like NVIDIA may be working on improving their X Render support in its binary graphics drivers. NVIDIA's X Render extension support is already quite good and fast after being revitalized in some driver updates last year, but recent work is signaling that they may be further polishing this support to help users with 2D acceleration. This afternoon two patches hit the xorg-devel list that were written by Robert Morell and reviewed by Aaron Plattner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No major X Render improvements have been spotted yet in the NVIDIA 195.xx beta drivers so perhaps this is all work building up for a major 200.xx series release.
    What about the render improvements mentioned in the 195.30 release notes?
    Originally posted by 195.30 release notes
    • Enabled GPU acceleration for many RENDER compositing operations that were previously processed in software, including conjoint and disjoint blending modes and component alpha blending.

Comment

although, i get crappy 2d acceleration on my 9600. wobbly windows are terribly slow in gnome.

but when i go into compiz settings and enable the desktop benchmark it shoots up to a constant silky smooth 60fps.
      i can't figure it out, does anyone know why it's like this?

i've even tried disabling power management to no avail. i should probably ask somewhere else though...

Comment

Try disabling vsync from nvidia-settings. If that doesn't help, disable vsync from compiz settings (if enabled).

Comment

No you shouldn't disable v-sync

Instead, you should try to disable "detect refresh rate" and manually set refresh rate to 120 in compiz settings. This way you get best of both worlds: tear-free and fast 3d compiz desktop.

I've been using this hack for more than a year and it's been a very good experience.

Comment

Forcing vsync on both nvidia-settings and compiz settings (note, forcing not merely enabling) is known to cause such issues.

In any case, the 120Hz hack is evil and speaks more of a deficiency in compiz than anything else.

Comment

i tried every combination of vsync options to no avail. the framerate appears to be at 15 to 20 fps. but when i turn on compiz benchmark it shoots up to 327 fps.

edit: i tried the 120 hack, still only get around 15 fps. but when i turn on benchmark it shoots to 283 fps.
              Last edited by portets43; 21 January 2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Forcing vsync on both nvidia-settings and compiz settings (note, forcing not merely enabling) is known to cause such issues.

In any case, the 120Hz hack is evil and speaks more of a deficiency in compiz than anything else.
                I am aware of what the 'hack' does to the compiz code. Compiz IMO is poorly written in regards to v-sync handling. The v-sync wait often jumps over an available Hz and went to wait for next. So enabling v-sync and allow it to auto detect refresh rate will often cap the screen update rate to half the actual refresh rate, say 30Hz, which is very jumpy. To workaround the v-sync wait deficiency, we try to let compiz pull v-sync signal twice as fast, this solves the under-syncing bug and gives you smooth update rate. There is nothing evil about it, compiz should in default pull twice as fast so we don't even need to manually specify the rate.

For portets43: Have you tried to disable v-sync in nvidia driver, enable v-sync in compiz, DISABLE screen refresh rate detection and manually set to 120Hz? This combination works for me for a variety of nvidia cards: 8800GTS, 8800GTX, 9800GT, GTX-260+, even 7600GT and FX5700 gives smooth compiz desktop

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                  For portets43: Have you tried to disable v-sync in nvidia driver, enable v-sync in compiz, DISABLE screen refresh rate detection and manually set to 120Hz? This combination works for me for a variety of nvidia cards: 8800GTS, 8800GTX, 9800GT, GTX-260+, even 7600GT and FX5700 gives smooth compiz desktop
                  yes, just tried EXACTLY what you said. still choppy.

i'm just disabling compiz until a later date.

Comment

Don't try to run that test with ATI... you'll hurt your eyes :x

Comment

Working...
                    X