X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not yet.

Originally posted by bingel View Post
    Some clarifications:
    Fermi means gf100 processors and 40 nm architecture.
    Right?
    Is there any other processor based on Fermi technology named in some other way than gf100?
    The next cards based on this processors will be gtx470, gtx480, gtx360, gtx380.
    Did I leave out anything?
    Is there any other card based on Fermi architecture currently on the market or ready soon?

Thanks in advance
    The 3xx cards are not Fermis, they are still the same DX10/DX10.1 architecture as 2xx and before. OEMs should already have access to 3xx parts, but it might be some time before you'll be able to buy them standalone (at least I cannot find any such card in the market here).

Fermis will be called 4xx and they won't appear until late March at best. High-end low-volume parts are expected to appear first, with mid-range parts appearing around June or so. And that's the best-case scenario...

In short, this whole thing is slowly becoming a Geforce FX-level catastrophe. :/

Comment

Just learned that nvidia gtx360 and gtx380 are a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by bingel View Post
        Just learned that nvidia gtx360 and gtx380 are a fake.
        They are starting as a 4xx series

Comment

Apparently it was a last-minute decision to call the DX11 Fermi cards not GTX 380 and 360, but GTX 480 and 470 instead.

Some DX10.1 cards have been renamed to 300 series.

If reports concerning this matter are to be believed, mid-range derivatives will appear ~6 months after tape-out, which has not happened yet.

Comment

As far as I know, nvidia never actually gave names to their Fermi line-up and simply kept referring them by their code name. The names that came out were speculation by various journalists and review sites. No one knew for sure how the chips were going to be named at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              As far as I know, nvidia never actually gave names to their Fermi line-up and simply kept referring them by their code name. The names that came out were speculation by various journalists and review sites. No one knew for sure how the chips were going to be named at the end.

wrong. Your knowledge is inaccurate. Check your sources.

Comment

I think he referred to the GTX 380/360 names as speculation. This was indeed not used by NVidia publically.

Comment

Yes. No one knew about the 4xx names before and simply concluded that the new Fermis would be named in 3xx fashion. Nvidia latter confirmed that Fermi chips would indeed be classified with the 4xx nomenclature. Nvidia never publicly called any Fermi chip as 3xx, just by their codename.

Comment

If I understand correctly, everybody (not just journalists, but also OEMs/card vendors) originally expected the names to be GTX380/360.

Well I guess on Monday we will know a bit more about Fermi. Possibly GTX480 Unigine Heaven benchmark numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      Well I guess on Monday we will know a bit more about Fermi. Possibly GTX480 Unigine Heaven benchmark numbers.
                      I don't think a few benchmark numbers would qualify as a "major" announcement. They already released some game benchmarks at CES. Anything short of a release date and/or price point is probably pretty minor by now.

Comment

Working...
                      X