The Fermi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Regarding power consumption that is a good point. Reports that there will be special Fermi-certified cases and PSUs have appeared some time ago, and various tech sites saying that it will be the most power hungry NVidia chip of all time.
    Those "certified" cases are for tri-sli setups. Dual or single cards ordinary cases should work fine.

Comment

Gentlemen: I give you the always entertaining Charlie Demerjian. Note that the views and opinions expressed in linked content do not necessarily reflect those of this poster.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/...anufacturable/

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        Gentlemen: I give you the always entertaining Charlie Demerjian. Note that the views and opinions expressed in linked content do not necessarily reflect those of this poster.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/...anufacturable/
        I'm still waiting for his x86 nvidia cpu he said would be out last year.

Comment

Gotta love Charlie.
          But nvidia's continued silence is really not a good sign if you're waiting to replace your gaming video card.

OT: There would be an nvidia x86 though if they were allowed to, non?

Comment

Have they actually said anything about when Fermi-based GeForce cards will actually show up in quantity, or is that still in rumor-land? The latest stuff I can find says March optimistically and April/May pessimistically.

Comment

Well usually the highest priced cards will come first and till xmas the low price ones

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                Have they actually said anything about when Fermi-based GeForce cards will actually show up in quantity, or is that still in rumor-land? The latest stuff I can find says March optimistically and April/May pessimistically.
                No, I believe all that has been said is Q1 2010, they don't have an exact day let alone an exact month. Anything beyond that is just a guess.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                It is possible that NVidia launches Fermi for USD 500 but they would have to eat a loss for each unit sold, if the estimates for board costs are remotely accurate.

Regarding power consumption that is a good point. Reports that there will be special Fermi-certified cases and PSUs have appeared some time ago, and various tech sites saying that it will be the most power hungry NVidia chip of all time.
                I have one issue with the enormous amount of power this chip uses, if the unofficial benchmarks are even remotely accurate that I have seen, all I can say is I expected more out of a card using 280ish watts. Of course the amount of speculation and bias out there is pretty ridiculous so the benchmarks could all be BS.

Theres people who want this card to fail horribly and theres people who want it to completely destroy ATI/AMD. Me personally, I don't care either way, I just want to see if it lives up to the hype. I am probably not going to buy the card, I'm pretty happy with my 9600 GT still, but definitely interesting to watch.

Comment

Just want to point out that the Fermi architecture was originally designed for gpgpu stuff, and as such targeted a slightly different audience than AMD's latest offerings.
                  Of course, I can't say what nvidia plan on doing with it now, only time will tell with that.

Comment

the latest "official" release date I know was "certainly 2009". I'm not sure if the release dates around march are official or just rumors.

I find it a bit difficult to get excited over a video we've seen on evergreen before. It's not even a real-world benchmark because it's so tesselation-heavy: nvidia's architecture will use the shaders for tesselation while ATI has dedicated tesselation units. Heavy tesselation will decrease the available shader power on nvidia cards, ATI cards are unaffected.

So yeah, nothing impressive yet. Let's wait until march.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well usually the highest priced cards will come first and till xmas the low price ones
                    so... a year late?

Comment

It is late, but there is exactly 1 DX11 benchmark out there that uses tesselation, and thats not even 3dmark just an engine demo that was never used in a real game. Of course it is not that ideal when want to buy a new pc and put in a gfx card that you would have to replace to see all possible features. Till the more affordable cards will be available it will certainly take more time, if it is 1 year late i don't know, but at the end of the year you could expect first "real" DX11 games, which may not look 99% the same as DX10 ones. Then you could also buy a new monitor/tv to watch bluray in 3d. At least vp4 should support h264 mvc which all cheap g210/gt220/gt240 have got. Has ati announced something for their chips yet? I doubt so as "UVD2" is not even fast enough for more than h264 l4.1...

Comment

Working...
                      X