Problems with X 7.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with X 7.1?

Are there known video problems with X 7.1 that I am unaware of? I did a few Google searches, and of course people have had issues, but it didn't seem to be worse than previous versions.

With 7.1, I installed the latest NVIDIA driver and had this happen:

The above picture is Kate, but I have also had similar problems with Gentoo. When I installed 7.1 on my laptop and Intel desktop, and recompiled the video drivers, the system would crash. Let me tell you, it can be a PITA to revert to a previous X version :-P

Anyways, I am wondering if there have been fixes to this that I am unaware of? I tried older video drivers, but the problem was worse with each try.

I thought the nvidia drivers didn't support >=xorg-7.1

Comment

NVIDIA drivers currently do not support X.Org 7.1.

Rob, this might be of assistance. Basically there are some work-arounds for masking X7,1, but it isn't the best solution, and GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap isn't supported with either binary driver.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ahh thanks for the link. So in reality, it just doesn't make sense to move beyond 7.0 or whatever else you have. It seems to have more downsides than upsides, unless you don't want to use 3D maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Williams
          Ahh thanks for the link. So in reality, it just doesn't make sense to move beyond 7.0 or whatever else you have. It seems to have more downsides than upsides, unless you don't want to use 3D maybe?
          NVIDIA's 1.0-9XXX driver binaries, which support X 7.1, shouldn't be out for at least another month or so... A bit slow to the game, and X 7.2 should be out later this year.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If you do something along these lines in Gentoo again, be sure to quickpkg xorg-x11. This will make reverting much less of a hassle. Also, portage should not allow you to install 7.1 alongside the nvidia drivers in the first place, as xorg-server conflicts with them.

Comment

Reverting is a big pain. I ran into this exact problem and couldn't get myself reverted back to 7.0 easily. I didn't know about quickpkg at the time, so your results may be much better (let's hope).

As a result of my frustrations, I'm now running K|Ubuntu on my primary machine.

Comment

I should have used quickpkg... good point. TBH, Portage probably did not let me install it, I don't remember. I likely uninstalled 7.0 or 6.8 first then forced an install of 7.1.

Originally posted by James
                Reverting is a big pain.
                Well, the easiest way I have found was to simply:

Code:
                emerge -C libX11 x11 xorg-x11
                ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -e =xorg-x11-7.0-r1 x11

Comment

A good method of handling this in gentoo was posted on the forums, it can also be used to revert back by unmerging xorg-x11 between steps 2 and 3
                  Originally posted by lftsy of the gentoo forums
                  1) I made a save pkg of xorg-server-1.1.0
                  Code:
                  quickpkg xorg-server
                  2) I set xorg-server-1.1.0 & x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1 masked
                  Code:
                  echo =x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0 >> /etc/portage/package.mask
                  echo =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1 >> /etc/portage/package.mask
                  3) I used this script to update my computer
                  Code:
                  while true ; do emerge -uD world | grep dependency | sed "s/^.*\(\".*\"\).*$/echo =\1 >> \/etc\/portage\/package.mask/" | sh ; done
                  you can observe with a
                  Code:
                  tail -f /etc/portage/package.mask
                  packages that will ba masked
                  kill (Ctrl+C) when no more package will be added

Comment

I like my way better, hehe. It's worked on two PC's. Though, that way is probably more failsafe.

Comment

Working...
                    X