• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic NVIDIA Developer Talks Openly About Linux Support

NVIDIA Developer Talks Openly About Linux Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Developer Talks Openly About Linux Support

In late August we started asking our readers for any questions they had for NVIDIA about Linux and this graphics company's support of open-source operating systems. Twelve pages worth of questions were accumulated and we finally have the answers to a majority of them. NVIDIA's Andy Ritger, who leads the user-space side of the NVIDIA UNIX Graphics Driver team for workstation, desktop, and notebook GPUs, answered these questions. With that said, there are some great, in-depth technical answers and not the usual marketing speak found in many interviews. While Linux is our focus, Andy's team and his answers for the most part apply equally to NVIDIA drivers on Solaris and FreeBSD platforms too. There are many questions that range from the status of new features in their proprietary graphics driver to why it is unlikely there will be any official open-source support from NVIDIA to download percentages of their Linux driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14278

• tmpdir
    replied
    On gf4 here, no problems at all on Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Not my systems, mainly GF5 and older cards. Last time it was GF5200 + SiS chipset which did not work at all, could not debug it that good, i would change agp aperture size, but some are not able to do that...

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    There are lots of users with AGP systems, when the vga card dies you have got not so many choices for a cheap replacement. GF6 is already often high priced already because relatively rare.
    BTW what issues are you encountering AGP cards Kano? I've got three systems yet with GF 6 and 7 agps and they are working fine.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    There are lots of users with AGP systems, when the vga card dies you have got not so many choices for a cheap replacement. GF6 is already often high priced already because relatively rare.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Well one has to keep the current software and hardware landscape in mind.

If a card get so old the performance is equal or below the standard IGP's that motherboards come with you have to ask yourself if it still adds anything.

For example the latest IGPs can all run Quake 3 perfectly, so what's the use of a GeForce 4200? Hell my motherboard came with an onboard HD 3300 Radeon. Like... FFS!

Ask yourself this: Shouldn't one upgrade his computer each 6 years? Most laptops won't even last longer than 3 years, let alone longer than 6 years!

And c'mon... You buy new cloths at least every 3 years... right? So upgrading a computer each 6 years costs one 500 dollars/6 years = 83,33 dollars.

For that money you get a Dell with a 18,5" HD widescreen flatscreen, a tiny energy efficient dektop rig with:
    -Pentium Dual Core E5400 (2,7gHz, 800FSB, 2MB cache)
    -2GB RAM
    -320GB Sata HDD @ 7.200 RPM)
    -16x DVD+/-RW driver
    -Intel X4500
    -7.1 serround sound card

I mean... What the hell? A GeForce 4200 at least needs a new fan because after a year or 3-5 they all stop working.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I wasn't aware that there were actual bugfixes (as opposed to installer script updates) going on, I'm actually surprised.

But you have to agree that the bug fixing in older drivers is minimal.

It's better binary support for legacy cards than what fglrx gives, I'll agree to that.
    I agree that the older legacy drivers are not updated as much as the current drivers but the current driver (195 series) set also covers probably ~95% of their cards that are currently in use. Again supply vs demand.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    I wasn't aware that there were actual bugfixes (as opposed to installer script updates) going on, I'm actually surprised.

But you have to agree that the bug fixing in older drivers is minimal.

It's better binary support for legacy cards than what fglrx gives, I'll agree to that.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You can be sure i know many people with lots of differnet cards. If something is for legacy drivers it is not that good maintained anymore. Ok, GF 6 still work with latest, but with GF 5 begin the problems. Often because of AGP problems - it is just a matter of time when all AGP cards are legacy.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Keep in mind that the latest drivers (195 series) support cards that are now 6 years old.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X