No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my double post was not intended, after sending my post i didnt see it so i posted it again.

The idle power consumption and temperature of both cards (GT 220 and GT 240) is very similar. I found a review which compares power consumption and temperatures: http://www.techspot.com/review/223-g...ew/page11.html

For games like Regnum Online, Nexuiz etc. the GT220 is certainly good enough, but not for high end games.
    Last edited by Fenrin; 17 December 2009, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I see... Thanks for that link, it is somewhat enlightening!
      Considering it's based on a larger fab process among other things, I suspect a jump to the GTS240 would be a jump too far for power/heat minimisation.

Does anyone know of any games the GT240 wouldn't be good enough for? I'll be gaming mostly on a LCD TV that's approx. 50".
      As long as I can play the latest & most graphically intensive games (with their effects throttled down) at acceptable frame-rates, then I'll be happy.

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
      my double post was not intended, after sending my post i didnt see it so i posted it again.

The idle power consumption and temperature of both cards (GT 220 and GT 240) is very similar. I found a review which compares power consumption and temperatures: http://www.techspot.com/review/223-g...ew/page11.html

For games like Regnum Online, Nexuiz etc. the GT220 is certainly good enough, but not for high end games.
      Last edited by jalyst; 18 December 2009, 05:00 AM.

Comment

why buying a gt240, which is basically a renamed g92? because a 4850 beats it soundly?

Comment

Because the main use is video acceleration / post processing....
          And that is still quite rudimentary for AMD cards in Linux compared to nV.

Comment

@energyman

When you would add using Win to your statement it would give at least a bit sense. 3D might be faster for those features fglrx provides, but wine is still not working as good as with nvidia. And when you want to play full hd movies then the choice is 100% clear.

Comment

I've read a fair few reviews and by all accounts GT240 seems to be a very good OC'r.
              I think I read some suggesting that a high enough OC will get it to 9800GT performance levels for gaming in Windows.

Would a nV card of this performance level cope w/most current DX9/10/10.1 games on a 50" (approx) LCDTV?
              Keeping in mind a LCDTV of that size wouldn't be anywhere near the same res. as a monitor of that size!

Thanks

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
              I see... Thanks for that link, it is somewhat enlightening!
              Considering it's based on a larger fab process among other things, I suspect a jump to the GTS240 would be a jump too far for power/heat minimisation.

Does anyone know of any games the GT240 wouldn't be good enough for? I'll be gaming mostly on a LCD TV that's approx. 50".
              As long as I can play the latest & most graphically intensive games (with their effects throttled down) at acceptable frame-rates, then I'll be happy.

Comment

Those cards are not usefull for new games at full hd res. Then you would need at least a gtx 260 or faster - or a similar card to be introduced next year.

Comment

Might wait till nV has finally released their nextgen architecture some time in Q1 2010...
                  Then (depending who's winning at the mid-2-top level) I'll get a much stronger AMD or nV card which I can swap into my myth front-end whenever I want heavy duty gaming abilities.

So for the time being GT 240 is it, unless anyone vehemently disagrees?
                  Last edited by jalyst; 19 December 2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

"[...] but will struggle with any of the more demanding native Linux games like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars or the Unigine game engine."

Where's the benchmarks of those?

Comment

Originally posted by starchild View Post
                      "[...] but will struggle with any of the more demanding native Linux games like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars or the Unigine game engine."

Where's the benchmarks of those?
                      I myself have performed no benchmarks, but on my machine my GT 240 pukes on Unigine based stuff, and runs ET:QW like a dream. I involuntarily ended up with a GT 240 after my 9600GT broke and I had to RMA it. Now Unigine Tropics went from ~60 fps to ~20 fps. And that's with an OC'd card! Nexuiz also runs veeeery slow (scenes which rendered at ~60 fps before went down to ~20 fps).

So, in conclusion: Unless you're going to play games like tuxracer (with the exception of ET:QW), buy another card. There are cheaper cards if you need a GPU for VDPAU (such as the GT 220), and there are equally priced cards if you want to play games (9800GT for example). Stay away from the GT 240 until it goes down to the (by me) perceived value of $30.

Comment

Working...
                      X