No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like how everyone has Nvidia issues and not me.

@droidhacker

I am the proud owner of several video cards:

ATI Rage
    ATI AIW 7500 (r100)
    Nvidia 5200
    Nvidia 6200
    Nvidia 7950 (was a 7900 but when it broke BFG gimme a 7950 replacement)

I have also installed countless others from various brands.

I bought my 6200, god knows how long ago. It still works great for me, say when my 7950 broke i juz swapped the card and it worked fine. The driver still works great and so does the performance on it. My 7950 is a few years old aswell. It runs amazing still, the driver is great. No issues that i have come across. I have a 5200, on the old driver that nvidia no longer supports. And guess what?

It works great. And continues to work great. Distro to distro.

I am no Nvidia fanboy. I am just a guy who looks for performance and compatibility. my 7500 is sitting in the computer behind me and the open driver works great for it. But at the end of the day, some of us are performance oriented people who use Nvidia cards, we are not satanic evil dogs, believe it or not. When the open driver becomes good enough, I will purchase ATI hardware again. But in the meantime, i laugh while people like you whine that their driver doesnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post

@droidhacker

ATI Rage
      ATI AIW 7500 (r100)
      Nvidia 5200
      Nvidia 6200

I bought my 6200, god knows how long ago. It still works great for me, say when my 7950 broke i juz swapped the card and it worked fine. The driver still works great and so does the performance on it. My 7950 is a few years old aswell. It runs amazing still, the driver is great. No issues that i have come across. I have a 5200, on the old driver that nvidia no longer supports. And guess what?

I am no Nvidia fanboy. I am just a guy who looks for performance and compatibility. my 7500 is sitting in the computer behind me and the open driver works great for it. But at the end of the day, some of us are performance oriented people who use Nvidia cards, we are not satanic evil dogs, believe it or not. When the open driver becomes good enough, I will purchase ATI hardware again. But in the meantime, i laugh while people like you whine that their driver doesnt work.
      You ever go through the nvnews forum (the one linked to from the nvidia linux driver web page). You would be STUNNED by the number of problems that arise out of that mess.

You also apparently don't have any experience triaging bugs. Typically, for every user who experiences any particular bug, there are a HUNDRED or a THOUSAND who don't. Even if the bug is a critical bug that makes the software entirely UNUSABLE for that user.

The example I gave you was a bug that affected 6100 and 6150 integrated GPUs. Other GPUs were unaffected. They knew about it and yet DID NOTHING for the better part of a YEAR.

Now under the circumstances, the hardware was selected and purchased based on guarantees made by the manufacturer pertaining to the usability of the hardware for general 2d and 3d use in Linux, which means that, quite frankly, they were OBLIGATED to fix it and owed it to me as their customer to whom they DO have legal obligation. Is this whining? No. This is fact.

To make this more clear, lets say, for example, that you buy a new CAR, and there is some programming defect that prevents it from running when the engine temperature exceeds 120F, even though this particular code works fine for a DIFFERENT MODEL. The thing works fine for a couple of KM before it quits. You then have to wait an hour for it to cool down before driving it again, or get it towed back. Now the manufacturer knows about this problem since everybody who bought one of those cars has experienced the problem and is complaining about it. But despite having the same software, it is only the owners of YOUR MODEL that have problems. It takes the manufacturer the better part of a year before they get off their lazy a$$es and repair the bug, which allows your car to actually work. What would you do... sit around and accept it? Or would you raise bloody hell with them? Litigation maybe? How about class action? But no, this is a video card, not a car, so it *doesn't matter*.

Fact is that the manufacturer's obligations don't depend on what the product actually IS, the fact that you paid money based on guarantees that THEY MAKE with respect to the product that they sell OBLIGATES them to ensure that what you purchased from them continues to operate exactly as expected throughout the guaranteed life of the product.

And this is just one example of problems from nvidia. There are MANY MANY other similar problems -- some affecting all hardware, some affecting just *some* hardware. And you may or may not trip any particular bug depending on the way you use the product. That doesn't mean that it is perfect. I really suggest that you go through that forum to see the kind of things that go wrong. How about this one... looks pretty juicy: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123912 --- and, that thread has been running for just shy of a WHOLE YEAR.

And more....
      Yes, I can appreciate that some people (very very few) actually are impressed in getting that 350 FPS up to 355 (note: this is already WAY over the threshold of what you brain will perceive as fluid).

But note: according to every open source driver developer who lives, optimization of the R6xx driver and architectural improvements due to G3D are supposed to take away the performance gap between OSS and blob drivers, so even that argument is very temporary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        @droidhacker

I am 100% sure you never played bd content on linux just much lower bitrate rips.
        Seeing as BD isn't supported by Linux anyways (regardless of who makes the GPU).... that really isn't a very difficult assumption to get away with.

More on Linux support for BD:

Comment

It is not impossible got get the m2ts files when you have got win on one partition.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            "What Linux is capable of"? For a home user, maybe a 7600 is enough (if you don't care about video acceleration or games). However for a game developer that's not enough. Neither is it for anyone using Linux professionaly for graphics design, research or scientific visualizations.

You are using your own experience and needs to extrapolate for other users. Needless to say, the results of this process aren't always applicable.
            Actually I was referring to the home user and games. The native games run under openGL, and the Windows games you can run successfully under Wine stop at DX9. My gaming genre of choice is the First Person Shooter.

I had a 9600gt briefly, but saw no benefit from it.

If game developers need them, where are the Linux games that can take advantage?

As far as I know, the scientific type apps lend themselves better to a workstation style card.

One other commercial app I can think of would be the Hollywood special effects guys. However, I believe their app falls more into the render farm category.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @droidhacker

I am 100% sure you never played bd content on linux just much lower bitrate rips.
              I have never had a need for BD either.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                How about this one... looks pretty juicy: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123912 --- and, that thread has been running for just shy of a WHOLE YEAR.
                First 4 chars i seen was KDE4 and that pretty much answered that for me. Especially looking at the date (08) When KDE4 was a piece of crap. Its still not as stable as i would like it to be but its getting alot better.

I applaud you for being so enthusiastic. However i dont share your enthusiasm and dont feel like reading a novel this afternoon. When i see a post that long i usually skip to the links or ignore it.

I could go and write half a chapter back at you but i'll make it quick. I have NEVER had a problem with my Nvidia card. It has worked 98% of the time, and that 2% of the time was my own stupid fault. I dont give a crap about your issues with it. TBH, none of my business. On fedora i run the latest bins, on ubuntu i run the supplied bins, I see no difference. If you do, or people all over the world give a shit, I dont. It works for me, and L33F3R only cares about L33F3R's interests. I also think im going to use RANDOM CAPITOL LETTERS HERE. 99% of people use an ATI, Nvidia, or intel graphics chip and i bet, if i wanted 2, I could find a nasty bug post or a rant. I'll leave the forum hunting to you, because your the one who cares.

Btw i have a laptop on 6150, few years old i'd say. Guess what ran nvidia drivers juz fine? Or maybe it was that PC i put together for a buddy that had 6100 onboard.... Gosh darn that was about the time i bought my 6200.... Your worse then the Reiser freaks, i swear. Maybe the issues are related to octal monitor SLI set-ups with compiz hacks all around? Maybe i have a horseshoe up my ass?

Comment

@droidhacker

ATI Rage
                  ATI AIW 7500 (r100)
                  Nvidia 5200
                  Nvidia 6200

Yup I agree with your assessment and I own several nvidia cards myself. Even my even older Geforce4 MX440SE still chugs along quite well. My current card is a 7900GS which is still quite respectable even though being 2 years old

Comment

Crap performance? This is juz a bottom end card. Look at the other Nvidia solutions that are compared to it.

These are only how old? Ill give you a hand, Geforce 8 is November 8, 2006.

Business as usual for nvidia? More like business 3 years old.

To compare, the R700 is June 25, 2008. You are looking at what is a 2 year difference between the nvidia offerings and ATI ones. Doesnt seem like much when you are purchasing an oven but in this game it certainly does. This is just a crap offering by nvidia, that seems to be targeted towards HTPC's. I think this deals more of a blow to S3 then anything else.
                    except that a 4670 blows the 220 away, costs the same or less and passive cooled versions are available.

crap card, 10 month too late.

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                      GT 220 is competitive enough. Even on Windows ATI sucks badly in the driver dept,
                      Anandtech says otherwise.

Microsoft says otherwise too.

I trust those people more than some rampant fanboy with foam on his mouth.

Comment

Working...
                      X