Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b15hop
    replied
    Strange thing is, I'm highly considering to buy an ATi graphics card just because it's the first dx11 card out there.. Even though using such a card in linux is not viable at this stage and maybe not for the next year or so.. =/

Personally, I'm thinking OpenCL is revolutionary. I bet in the next 4 years there will be some really cool stuff out there that takes advantage of this powerful tool. =)

Leave a comment:

• dashcloud
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Unfortunately, you'd need an OpenCL-capable GPU for this - and OpenCL-capable GPUs tend to have dedicated (and faster!) video decoding blocks already. Given the shared buffers between OpenCL/OpenGL, this would probably be a viable approach for video decoding on Gallium drivers (unless there are plans to add a dedicated video decoding API/tracker - no idea).

Now, OpenCL-based encoding and we are talking.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here- the folks behind x264 (the lead programmers, plus one of the major company supporters) aren't going to be doing anything with it, because it actually doesn't work as well for video encoding as the hype would make you believe.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It's worth watching this video tutorial on nVidia hardware:
    http://www.macresearch.org/opencl_episode4
    PS: It's a .m4v file and 124MB, so you might want to use VLC for playback because you can also stream the link so you can instantly watch it.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by justapost View Post
    I ran all tests with standard parameters and I think the overhead caused by memory transfers and initialization causes some of the low gfx results.
    It's worth watching this video tutorial on nVidia hardware:
    In this episode we cover some questions regarding function calls from kernels and the use of clFinish. Also, we’ll discuss basic GPU architecture Security, memory layout, shared memory. Thread blocks, warps and efficient data loading will also be discussed. In iTunes, you can subscribe to the podcasts by going to:...

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Wow that sounds awesome... And just to think that OpenCL already allows extensions. That's what the LLVM is for when JIT compiling right? It looks for extensions that are available and sends kernel code to whatever extension it can find, else it executes it without extension, right?
    As long as usage of extensions isn't required and the program doesn't see they're used, it doesn't matter that much. On the other paw, if an OpenCL program gets the ability to directly use OpenCL extensions which might have multiple different implementations and possibly bad (read: leave a lot for vendor interpretation) specifications, we end up in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• justapost
    replied
    Today I wrote a test profile for the ati-stream-sdk. Afterwards I installed nvidia drivers and voila many of the ati examples run fine with nvidias libOpenGL.so.

Here are a few results:

I ran all tests with standard parameters and I think the overhead caused by memory transfers and initialization causes some of the low gfx results.

Here are results for one test with different matrix sizes.

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    Ah ok, I wasn't sure if the drivers were attached to more system "pass it off to whatever's free" or simply standalone. I do find OpenCL interesting, but haven't had an opportunity to work with it.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    We might quickly bump into the good old territory there too as what happened with C library implementations: the specification left tons of gaps and when vendors implemented these as they saw fit, we were left with libc implementations that aren't fully compatible with each other. (and that's just before some smart-asses thought it's a good idea to start extending them way beyond specifications)
    Wow that sounds awesome... And just to think that OpenCL already allows extensions. That's what the LLVM is for when JIT compiling right? It looks for extensions that are available and sends kernel code to whatever extension it can find, else it executes it without extension, right?

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Ehm... OpenCL is a specification just like OpenGL and you can have multiple implementations. That is it. The implementations can differ hugely between implementations. The only requirements is that OpenCL code can be compiled and executed according to the spec.
    We might quickly bump into the good old territory there too as what happened with C library implementations: the specification left tons of gaps and when vendors implemented these as they saw fit, we were left with libc implementations that aren't fully compatible with each other. (and that's just before some smart-asses thought it's a good idea to start extending them way beyond specifications)

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by mirv View Post
    Apologies if this doesn't make sense, but I've not read that deeply into how OpenCL works within the system as a whole: with an nivida beta library, and the amd cpu library, can those two work together? (i.e sending off code to the cpu or gpu as appropriate)
    Ehm... OpenCL is a specification just like OpenGL and you can have multiple implementations. That is it. The implementations can differ hugely between implementations. The only requirements is that OpenCL code can be compiled and executed according to the spec.

What it comes down to is: you as a developper write an OpenCL app. Your code never has to change because it's not platform dependant. You can compile it with gcc under Linux and you need the OpenCL state tracker for Gallium3D or the latest nVidia binary driver to run it. As for the library I do not know. I don't think you need to compile it against both the AMD and the nVidia lib, but perhaps somebody else here can awnser this.

As for the rest; you either asked the wrong question or my head just explodes, which always happens with OpenCL and Gallium3D topics :')

Leave a comment:

Working...
X