Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    true.

Dearest nvidia.

Carmack is switching to Direct X over openGL. Why do you have to suck so much.
    Heh, it was when Neil took over that the Khronos Group finally pulled their head out of their asses and started getting some long over due stuff done.

What still has to happen is a complete Khronos solution to compete with all of DirectX facets and put together the tools and SDK's to support them. Such as input, sound, graphics, etc etc.
    Last edited by deanjo; 01 September 2009, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Given that nvidia's Neil Trevett is the President of the Kronos Group and he created the openGL ES group I would say that they have a pretty good opinion of it's future.
    true.

Dearest nvidia.

Carmack is switching to Direct X over openGL. Why do you have to suck so much.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied
    Developer Quaestions

Some interesting questions for a developer using Linux:

*Physx GPU support? Since Windows supports it and it's based on CUDA which is supported on Linux too, there will be PhysX GPU on linux?
    *Since release 185 windows drivers provide cuvenc.dll which support GPU accelerated H.264 encoding.. Will this library supporting CUDA H.264 ported to Linux?
    The VDPAU seems a similar to cuvid.dll so what about cuvenc.dll..
    *IDE with GPU based debugging:
    This is somewhere not yet released but search youtube for:
    "NVIDIA NEXUS: Visual Studio-based GPU Computing and Graphics Development"
    there's something similar planned for Linux users i.e. a addin for a IDE for GPU debugging (Netbeans,Eclipse,etc..) using the CUDA gdb debugger?..
    *3D Vision for Linux when?.. I mean support for OpenGL QB stereo on Quadro Cards..
    If not I have heard that are going to launch 3D vision Pro with API support
    for glasses with accelerometer, etc.. Are this going to be supported

So briefly are:
    1. Physx GPU support?
    2. GPU accelerated H.264 encoding API? or extending VDPAU..
    3. GPU debbugging integrated in some IDE as Nexus for Visual Studio?
    4. 3D Vision for Linux and OpenGL QB Stereo on Quadro cards? when?

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied
    Physx GPU support, video encoding support..

Some interesting questions for a developer using Linux:

*Physx GPU support? Since Windows supports it and it's based on CUDA which is supported on Linux too, there will be PhysX GPU on linux?
    *Since release 185 windows drivers provide cuvenc.dll which support GPU accelerated H.264 encoding.. Will this library supporting CUDA H.264 ported to Linux?
    The VDPAU seems a similar to cuvid.dll so what about cuvenc.dll..
    *This is somewhere not yet released but as in:
    Unleash your productivity with Parallel Nsight (aka "Nexus"), NVIDIA's new development environment for GPU Computing and graphics applications that use CUDA ...

"NVIDIA NEXUS: Visual Studio-based GPU Computing and Graphics Development"
    there's something similar planned for Linux users i.e. a addin for a IDE for GPU debugging (Netbeans,Eclipse,etc..) using the CUDA gdb debugger..
    *3D Vision for Linux when?.. I mean support for OpenGL QB stereo on Quadro Cards..
    If not I have heard that are going to launch 3D vision Pro with API support
    for glasses with accelerometer, etc.. Are this going to be supported

So briefly are:
    1. Physx GPU support?
    2. GPU accelerated H.264 encoding API? or extending VDPAU..
    3. GPU debbugging integrated in some IDE as Nexus for Visual Studio?
    4. 3D Vision for Linux and OpenGL QB Stereo on Quadro cards? when?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    What does the great nvidia predict will be the future of OpenGL.
    Given that nvidia's Neil Trevett is the President of the Kronos Group and he created the openGL ES group I would say that they have a pretty good opinion of it's future.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    What does the great nvidia predict will be the future of OpenGL.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by CrystalCowboy View Post
    I have $$$$$
    can L33F3R has some?

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied
    Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
    If the nVidia Linux driver devs had a wishlist for changes to Linux and accompanying libraries/software, what would the top few items be?

What package (Xorg, kernel, etc) has the most room for improvement to better complement video drivers such as nVidia's for 3d acceleration, desktop effects, video playback, etc and in what way?

AMD was able to open source and/or document a lot by separating out the parts they couldn't legally disclose. Similar problems have been cited as preventing nVidia from open sourcing their driver (licensed 3rd parts code, etc). Could nVidia use the same strategy?

Can you speculate on the future of the 2D only open source nv driver vs the nouveau driver? Will be dropped, beefed up, stay the same?
    I think these questions are particularly interesting.

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    I do know though that rewriting nvidia or fglrx drivers for KMS would require entire rewrite in both userspace and kernelspace drivers for them.
    According to NVidia developers, the missing piece mostly is a framebuffer driver. Modesetting is already done in the kernel. I doubt implementing something similar to KMS has a high priority, though.

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied
    Originally posted by djtm View Post
    1. Will NVIDIA bring out support so VDPAU can be used in editing software as well (copy the decoded video data back into main memory).
    I know this thread is mostly for asking questions, not commenting the questions, but...

That's already possible, and has been for quite some time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X