Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will nvidia fix the severe stability issues which alot of people are suffering from? its been there for like a year now, and spans across LOTS of different hardware.. via email/forums they claim to want to fix it and such, but cant reproduce, which seems highly unlikely..

and theres plenty more threads about these issues..

will nvidia ever fix this?

Comment

Nvidia's TwinView was probably the first stable and consistent multiscreen setup that I could use, however, the it seems that the open-source world has caught up and in some cases leap-frogged TwinView with RandR 1.2/1.3. Specifically, TwinView's refresh-rate mechanisms aren't recognized by most window managers and so screen-spanning windows and backgrounds behave rather poorly. If Nvidia doesn't have a plan to integrate RandR 1.2/1.3 in the near term, are there any plans to update TwinView to provide better multi-screen support in the popular window managers?

Comment

Which situation would be more pleasant for nVidia driver developers--
        20% of the market owned by Apple, or 20% of the market powered by linux?

What is their time frame for the release of bridge chip documentation (for coreboot)?

Do they encourage companies like EVGA to include their drivers as .deb files on their install discs? If not, do they realize that Ubuntu has more interest (measured by Google), and probably market share, than all other linux based desktop operating systems combined?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
          Do they encourage companies like EVGA to include their drivers as .deb files on their install discs?
          Heh, and the first thing a good tech will tell you is to chuck that disk as far away as possible as they are so completely out of date by the time they hit the shelves.

That last statement is pretty grandiose too.
          Last edited by deanjo; 01 September 2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Programming documentation?

What about programming documentation for GPUs? Any plans on disclosing them? Or still want to continue to lock people into using windows and linux?

Comment

Why so many technical questions? My users have just one question:
              When can we start considering nVidia hardware with the confidence that it will run our software (media center, games, composing desktop) with a popular desktop Linux-based OS out of the box?

Comment

When will the nv driver actually be usable?

Comment

Here's a question I'm curious about.

What plans does NVidia have for revolutionizing the Linux Games market?

Comment

How about asking their opinion on the KDE4 transition. I know there was some frustration on the KDE developers side when they ran into NVidia bugs and couldn't seem to get in contact with the correct people right away (but eventually this got handled, and nvidia was hardly alone in this). Does NVidia have any thoughts about how this type of thing should be handled in the future? Any permanent open-source contacts which developers can take their concerns to about future changes to their codebases? Are there any tools developers have access to that can help debug issues in the drivers, like performance (either bugs in how the software is using them, or bugs inside the drivers themselves), etc...
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 01 September 2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Will NVIDIA do anything to improve the 2D performance of their drivers (especially when used with a compositing manager)? It's rather disappointing that the integrated i845 graphics in my old laptop can run wobbly windows smoother than my dual-GPU desktop. Granted, some of this is likely due to the advantage integrated graphics have when transferring data from/to GPU memory, but Windows 7 and MacOS seem to do compositing just fine on NVIDIA hardware.

Will any work be done on making VDPAU smooth when being composited with Compiz or kwin?

Comment

Working...
                      X