Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 555.52.04 Beta Linux Driver Brings Fixes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 555.52.04 Beta Linux Driver Brings Fixes

A few weeks ago NVIDIA introduced their much anticipated R555 beta driver with NVIDIA 555.42.02 for Linux bringing Wayland explicit sync support, the GPU System Processor (GSP) firmware being used by default, and a variety of Wayland improvements. Today the NVIDIA 555.52.04 beta driver is out that offers additional fixes for the R555 series...

Say what you want about nVidia as a company, and it's well justified. Erik Kurzinger is the public facing developer who's been in the trenches getting stuff done, he's withstood all the comments and snide remarks while putting his head down and doing a damn fine job. He's been patient with users, responsive, and putting forth a great deal of effort. Good on him for staying professional, doing a good thing, and I hope people can at least recognize that.

It would appear this rapid cadence of releases is due to his contributions on the driver side, helping the nVidia users out. At the end of the day, helping the users is a good thing. I appreciate the xwayland devs, Gnome, and KDE devs who all jumped on explicit sync. Everyone helped, and a good thing is happening.

Comment

This is awesome! I am currently a 100% un-abashed team green fanboy using their hardware in an ML/AI deployment. It would be awesome to see them go fully open source on their drivers, but I get why there are huge hurdles for them to do that. Quite frankly I also dont care. They mange the absolute best ML/AI GPU Compute ecosystem on the planet currently.

Yes you pay an absurd amount of money for it... yes they make 60% profit margins and that sucks to hear... but whether by blind luck or genius they rule this market and have been less evil then a lot of others in their position. AMD has finally started to wake up to the reality that left them behind and is starting to make strides in the right direction with ROCm but they still have a LONG way to go.

Nvidia improving support for wayland is awesome to see. Last time I tried it on Pop_OS 22.04 everything was still melting down and unusable... maybe in another 10 years it will be indistinguishable from X

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        This is awesome! I am currently a 100% un-abashed team green fanboy using their hardware in an ML/AI deployment. It would be awesome to see them go fully open source on their drivers, but I get why there are huge hurdles for them to do that. Quite frankly I also dont care. They mange the absolute best ML/AI GPU Compute ecosystem on the planet currently.

Yes you pay an absurd amount of money for it... yes they make 60% profit margins and that sucks to hear... but whether by blind luck or genius they rule this market and have been less evil then a lot of others in their position. AMD has finally started to wake up to the reality that left them behind and is starting to make strides in the right direction with ROCm but they still have a LONG way to go.

Nvidia improving support for wayland is awesome to see. Last time I tried it on Pop_OS 22.04 everything was still melting down and unusable... maybe in another 10 years it will be indistinguishable from X
        I agree with the sentiment. While I don't consider myself a fanboy, I do use a Nvidia gpu. One thing I think that is missed with the opensource vs closed source arguments is about UX. When I got my current GPU I was deciding between and AMD offering and Nvidia offering. If I had went with the AMD offering, I'd have had to either use their binary driver or compile git packages for a rolling release distro for at least 1 months. That is not good user experience. On the other hand the Nvidia driver works with any kernel released in like the last 10 years. I want open source drivers as this hardware will inevitably dropped from current versions of their driver, but I've had more trouble with the kernel developers throwing tantrums.

That doesn't even get into what is involved with regards to using any kind of ml compute workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

I think more realistic competition is from Intel. Intel have already GPU on market with good AI performance and that was their 1st gen, and 2nd gen battlemage has really a looooot of changes. Intel actually has a chance. Things so far AMD offers/will offer in mobile APUs doesn't sound like thing person working on AI will take big advantage of.

Comment

Michael

Weird you've not announced the last stable driver: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv.../226768/en-us/

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Michael

Weird you've not announced the last stable driver: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv.../226768/en-us/
              s/555.52.04 beta/555.52.04 beta and 550.90.07 stable/g - Works. That's basically what GOL posted, 550 gets some additional X-specific stuff, but I bet that's in 555 as well.

Comment

Does anyone know why the VAAPI video acceleration in Firefox does not work with the 555 series?
                The fault lies elsewhere. It doesn't even work with the 550 anymore.
                Last edited by Rovano; 07 June 2024, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                  Does anyone know why the VAAPI video acceleration in Firefox does not work with the 555 series?
                  The fault lies elsewhere. It doesn't even work with the 550 anymore.
                  You should be asking here https://github.com/elFarto/nvidia-vaapi-driver not on Phoronix forums.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You should be asking here https://github.com/elFarto/nvidia-vaapi-driver not on Phoronix forums.
                    I wanted to delete it, but I can't.

Comment

Working...
                    X