Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 555.42.02 Linux Beta Brings Wayland Explicit Sync, GSP Firmware Used By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhptitotoss View Post

omg so u think dual monitors with diff DPI and refresh rates on x11 is normal get real lol it's a mess even now in 2024 u gotta be kidding me ppl still struggle with that setup and dont even get me started on AMD's support or lack thereof for high DPI settings and multiple monitors it's like they're not even TRYING to get into the game with Nvidias tech lead u know what im saying nvidia at least gets stuff working even if u gotta pay premium and now AMD just playing catch up like always so this setup being 'normal' lol what a joke
    I'm not sure I understand a word you're saying, but I reckon you have the wrong end of what I meant to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
      Does it not work for you? Or do you think it's not as comprehensive there as when it runs on X11?
      It works but it has only a small part of functional which is fully available on X11.​

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

(Bearing in mind that some of the things I want are either adaptations for my autism-spectrum sensory processing issues or are also necessary for certain kinds of assistive technologies to be ported to Wayland. Either way, the people arguing on the side that said desires are illegitimate are being actively hostile to people with disabilities.)

Thankfully, work is being poured into fixing up rootful XWayland so, if they don't get their shit sorted out by the time the last LTS distro drops bare-metal X.org, I should be able to just emulate it by running rootful XWayland on top of a kiosk-mode Wayland compositor and then running everything as an X11 DE inside that.
        Even if distros will stop shipping Xorg sessions by default, there will still be a way to just install single package to bring it back and it will stay like that for a long long time. The only instance where I saw idea on canceling X is MR in GNOME project that removes code required to run GNOME Xorg session or issue where they consider making GTK5 a Wayland-only toolkit. And it’s only a proposal that’s still very controversial even though it’s GNOME project that is no stranger to dumb and harmful decisions.

There are some talks on accessibility features on Wayland. By the time native X becomes too obscure to be even shipped, your problem might not be there anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

Does it not work for you? Or do you think it's not as comprehensive there as when it runs on X11?
          It runs, but it's devoid of settings. Pretty much everything is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            It runs, but it's devoid of settings. Pretty much everything is missing.
            Is there any explanation on why that is?

A tool that, at least by its name, should be about configuring hardware and/or driver capabilities, should be able to do that regardless of which other applications are talking to the driver, no?

What kind of hardware or driver feature requires that the other application is Xorg and not an application using EGL or Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
              For all the X11 pundits and luddites, try connecting two monitors with different DPI requirements and refresh rates. We're in 2024. This scenario is not only common, it's normal now.
              It's not just normal, it's exceedingly rare.

Comment

Damn the brainwashing is strong in here... Actually WAYLAND was designed as an embedded protocol. The dude said so himself. He specifically said that he hopes someday WAYLAND could be extended to support display servers for login managers prior to X loading.

His hope was that it could someday have enough functionality to be used by login managers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Damn the brainwashing is strong in here... Actually WAYLAND was designed as an embedded protocol. The dude said so himself. He specifically said that he hopes someday WAYLAND could be extended to support display servers for login managers prior to X loading.

His hope was that it could someday have enough functionality to be used by login managers!!!
                  Citation needed, with sources

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                    A great milestone for sure, but unfortunately Wayland still lacks several important features 16 years into its existence.
                    Just like X did at the time (and does today in fact, and the feature gap to Wayland will only widen from now on).

[*]Portals are a mess (see the DRM leasing fiasco in GNOME),
                    No fiasco, it's being implemented: mutter!3746

Also, you left out the steps leading from "some GNOME developers expressed opinion preferring portal over Wayland protocol for DRM leasing" to "portals are a mess".

[*]There's still no push-to-talk support (global shortcuts was supposed to fix this, wasn't it? So how come it's not fixed?),
                    It's the fix, apps just need to adopt it (and DEs need to implement it, which is in progress for GNOME).

[*]There's still no cursor warping (needed by several CAD and 3D modelling programs)
                    There are Wayland protocols for this, which Xwayland also uses for emulating cursor locking & warping for X clients.

(Wayland was designed for embedded, not desktop),
                    [citation needed]

Kristian created Wayland on his laptop, he quite certainly did it with desktop in mind first and foremost.​

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Freedesktop, the same organization responsible for wayland is also responsible for X11, did u know that? It's basically their decision to not have a dedicated maintainer for X11. For some reason they really have a massive boner for getting people to use wayland and not use X, so they do just about everything in their power to cripple the development of X to try and make it lose it's massive lead over wayland, [...]
                    That's not how it works. There's no organization which has that kind of control. The fact that there's nobody left making major releases of xserver (outside of Xwayland) is simply that nobody wants to do it, or wants it to happen badly enough to pay others to make them do it.​

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Basically using X11 because its reliable and works for applications built under X11 since XWayland still breaks many apps.
                    Are there Xwayland bug reports about those broken apps?

Comment

Originally posted by pparker53 View Post

wow look at you complaining about someone .. you probably can't even do half as good just think before you speak
                      i can't do anything about any program. but that doest mean that he is not lazy after so many years and still so many things missing. and its not like he had no previous example to know what to do or not to do. and probably how not to do it so bad as x11.

i think i have some rights to complain when everyone(thing) is trying to force wayland but wayland has many features missing.
                      its damn annoying to find a fix all over the internet or ask a question for something to fix and be guided to do something else that has nothing to do with your problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X