Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 555.42.02 Linux Beta Brings Wayland Explicit Sync, GSP Firmware Used By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post

man and you are so proud of it. like he is some sort of god....
    but when you look at how many features missing in wayland....you would say that he is too lazy for the job
    wow look at you complaining about someone .. you probably can't even do half as good just think before you speak

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Be noted that the crash problem isn't exclusive to Wayland compositors. If the X server crashes, it also affects all X11 applications.
      However, the X server is a) ancient tech that's had enough bugs shaken out of it that it tends to never crash and b) not in the same address space as the WM where I have to either turn off compositing or restart it every couple of weeks to resolve graphical glitching.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

However, the X server is a) ancient tech that's had enough bugs shaken out of it that it tends to never crash and b) not in the same address space as the WM where I have to either turn off compositing or restart it every couple of weeks to resolve graphical glitching.
        My experience is that Xorg is still quite buggy in certain situations, but OK...

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          but when you look at how many features missing in wayland....you would say that he is too lazy for the job
          No once bitten twice shy problem so they spend a lot of time double checking things. The Wayland maintainers come from X11 background where many things that were merged into X11 protocol that they got stuck with are broken messes.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Bah, Arch doesn't pick up betas, I will have to wait a little bit longer.
            Though tbh the biggest Wayland offender lately hasn't been Nvidia. It's been Chromium.
            Today I received updates for Kwin drag&drop crash fix vs Chrome in my machine.
            Arch doesn't allow you to run binaries? You don't have to wait for the driver from the repository. Or is it difficult to install any BIN in Arch?
            Last edited by Rovano; 22 May 2024, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

nvidia-settings doesn't work
              Does it not work for you? Or do you think it's not as comprehensive there as when it runs on X11?

Comment

For all the X11 pundits and luddites, try connecting two monitors with different DPI requirements and refresh rates. We're in 2024. This scenario is not only common, it's normal now.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                  Anything pro foss done by AMD? Middle finger by the community.

Proprietary binary antifoss blob by ngreedia? Celebration on the streets.

what a joke.
                  Out of all the things that didn’t happen, this didn’t happen the most.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                    For all the X11 pundits and luddites, try connecting two monitors with different DPI requirements and refresh rates. We're in 2024. This scenario is not only common, it's normal now.
                    omg so u think dual monitors with diff DPI and refresh rates on x11 is normal get real lol it's a mess even now in 2024 u gotta be kidding me ppl still struggle with that setup and dont even get me started on AMD's support or lack thereof for high DPI settings and multiple monitors it's like they're not even TRYING to get into the game with Nvidias tech lead u know what im saying nvidia at least gets stuff working even if u gotta pay premium and now AMD just playing catch up like always so this setup being 'normal' lol what a joke

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                      Just to be the contrarian, I'll say that I'd rather go back to the bad old days of needing to consult hardware compatibility lists to run Linux (i.e. buy monitors with specific DPIs and refresh rates) than give up the display server functionality that's still missing from Wayland because of the Wayland protocol extension bikeshedding hell over whether it's even legitimate for users to have workflows that need it.

(Bearing in mind that some of the things I want are either adaptations for my autism-spectrum sensory processing issues or are also necessary for certain kinds of assistive technologies to be ported to Wayland. Either way, the people arguing on the side that said desires are illegitimate are being actively hostile to people with disabilities.)

Thankfully, work is being poured into fixing up rootful XWayland so, if they don't get their shit sorted out by the time the last LTS distro drops bare-metal X.org, I should be able to just emulate it by running rootful XWayland on top of a kiosk-mode Wayland compositor and then running everything as an X11 DE inside that.

At the very least, that should give them time to get crash recovery sorted, or give me time to drop all my non-Qt6 applications so it's a moot point.
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 22 May 2024, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X