Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 555.42.02 Linux Beta Brings Wayland Explicit Sync, GSP Firmware Used By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
    I can position my windows just fine. Wayland is working great here. It does everything I need. You are the POS.
    I fully agree with you! He should be banned. Weasel, avis (aka birdie), sophisticles and Phoronos (probably a clone account) should be moved to a trash can (aka banned).

Comment

Originally posted by xhustler View Post

The windowing system is not the place to restrict what applications are and are not allowed to do.

If you want to restrict what applications can do, use a sandbox (or disallow these protocols in your compositor via a configuration setting).
      The X11 model makes it essentially impossible to prohibit these behaviors in sandboxed applications. Security is only as strong is its weakest link and all that.

Comment

Yeah I'm certainly waiting on more Wayland features and support. Basically using X11 because its reliable and works for applications built under X11 since XWayland still breaks many apps. I mean we got use to solving problems under X11, nobody wants to deal with a whole new set of issues under WL on top!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I fully agree with you! He should be banned. Weasel, avis (aka birdie), sophisticles and Phoronos (probably a clone account) should be moved to a trash can (aka banned).
          lol amd fanboys always coming outta the woodwork to defend their precious cpus and gpus but when you really look at it they aint got nothing on nvidia cuz nvidia has got the tech that professionals actually use in the real world and the support to back it up natch people keep saying amd is getting there but thats a joke right its like waiting for a glacier to move we all know how that goes so slow its painful all talk no game and then theres the price thats a whole nother level of ridiculous honestly amd just tries to play catch up but doesnt even do the one thing they could to actually compete which is drop their dang prices its like they dont care about the consumers at all why bother supporting a company that wont even fight for your wallet thats why ppl just go nvidia instead or grab used cards when they can cuz at least then theyre not throwing money at a lost cause AMD needs to step it up big time if they ever wanna be taken seriously just slapping more vram on a card aint gonna cut it you gotta bring the whole package and right now that package is looking pretty sad if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Yeah I'm certainly waiting on more Wayland features and support. Basically using X11 because its reliable and works for applications built under X11 since XWayland still breaks many apps. I mean we got use to solving problems under X11, nobody wants to deal with a whole new set of issues under WL on top!
            Personally, in general, if picking between two imperfect solutions, I'd rather pick the one under active development than the one under active bitrot, though in the real world things aren't always quite so simple...

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Personally, in general, if picking between two imperfect solutions, I'd rather pick the one under active development than the one under active bitrot, though in the real world things aren't always quite so simple...
              Believe it or not. X11 is still be maintained. It isn't getting anything new and fancy, but it gets bug fixes still which will ensure it keeps working for a LONG time still.
              Especially considering MANY developers still don't care about WL support, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Believe it or not. X11 is still be maintained. It isn't getting anything new and fancy, but it gets bug fixes still which will ensure it keeps working for a LONG time still.
                Especially considering MANY developers still don't care about WL support, sadly.
                Someone made that same argument and gave a link to prove it.

And I only saw xwayland pull requests 😂😂🤣

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                  A great milestone for sure, but unfortunately Wayland still lacks several important features 16 years into its existence.
                  • No standard accessibility stack (almost every accessibility feature is broken and Freedesktop themselves admit it),
                  • Autotype from password managers is impossible to implement because of Wayland's "security" model (Wayland was designed for embedded, not desktop),
                  In reality these two are in fact the same problem. The X11 autotype you could in fact have user input char mid password entry or the like and break things.

Yes this link you pointed to you need to read.

dogtail needs to be able to synthesize keypresses/Just like autotype tools like keepassx that need to type the password,
                  There's still no push-to-talk support (global shortcuts was supposed to fix this, wasn't it? So how come it's not fixed?),
                  This one is you lead horse to water you cannot make them drink. There is a dbus XDG Desktop Portal "Global keyboard shortcut portal"

Wayland (desktop portal) supports global shortcuts, which might make you think that applications can bind keys to actions and have the option to list hotkeys and allow changing them. If that is what you were hoping from the global shortcuts desktop portal then you will be disappointed. It’s up to the Wayland compositor how this works and which data to report to the application. KDE plasma On KDE plasma this works as expected.

Kde and Hyperland have the protocol implemented others have you screwed.

No standard input method protocols (KDE's own David Edmudson has none of the *six* input method protocols admitted are good enough),​
                  You should have read the link you have quoted.
                  On X11, the standard protocol (XIM) is hardly used, we ended up with every input method creating a plugin for every toolkit.​
                  The reality is the 6 fragmented to hell input systems predate Wayland existing. Only now is anyone attempt to clean up this god darn disaster of a mess.

I guess most of your stuff you quoted is like this mxan. The truth is X11 has been quite a disaster zone. Wayland is slow to develop mostly due to how much work is required to design something that is in fact correct not to make another totally broken mess.

Comment

Anything pro foss done by AMD? Middle finger by the community.

Proprietary binary antifoss blob by ngreedia? Celebration on the streets.

what a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

As someone else already mentioned above as I was typing, it is being worked on.

Wayland does still have shortfalls, that is known and acknowledged. However, Wayland does not have the biggest shortfall of all - the shortfall that X.org/X11 has.

Wayland has a dedicated maintainer.
                      man and you are so proud of it. like he is some sort of god....
                      but when you look at how many features missing in wayland....you would say that he is too lazy for the job

Comment

Working...
                      X