DVI to HDMI Nvidia Overscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVI to HDMI Nvidia Overscan

Running (2) GTX260 cards via DVI to HDMI Cable to 42 inch LCD TV 1080P. Desktop stretched and to big. I hear this is overscan. Fixed this in windows but need help in linux please. Using Fedora 11...

Wow NO Replies? How long have Nvidia Drivers for linux been out? A week? What about HDTVs?
    This is a joke right? I thought Nvidia had better drivers than ATI in Linux that is why I sold my 4870X2 which had nothing wrong with it except poor linux support and bought TWO XFX Black Edition GTX260's.
    Sheesh... Sad

Comment

This should be the easiest fix ever as the driver should have built in scaling dont you think???

Comment

LOL was doing a search to see if ANYONE in the world has figured this out and it took m here...

Comment

Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
          LOL was doing a search to see if ANYONE in the world has figured this out and it took m here...
          Follow the instructions found here. They are written for Ubuntu, but the procedure for Fedora should be very similar:
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003099&page=2

Comment

Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
            I thought Nvidia had better drivers than ATI in Linux that is why I sold my 4870X2 which had nothing wrong with it except poor linux support and bought TWO XFX Black Edition GTX260's.
            Sheesh... Sad
            Wow. Thats a pretty dumb thing to do.
            AMD linux drivers are open source (including 3D) for all up to R700 (latest hardware) and they also have closed source drivers (equivalent to nvidia blob drivers) for R600 and R700. The open source R600/R700 is recent and advancing in leaps and bounds. That makes AMD linux support FAR FAR better than that nvidia junk.

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
              Wow. Thats a pretty dumb thing to do.
              AMD linux drivers are open source (including 3D) for all up to R700 (latest hardware) and they also have closed source drivers (equivalent to nvidia blob drivers) for R600 and R700. The open source R600/R700 is recent and advancing in leaps and bounds. That makes AMD linux support FAR FAR better than that nvidia junk.
              So you blame nvidia for not fixing your broken EDID on your TV? Sorry but no driver can fix that. When your correcting overscan in the windows drivers your adjusting modelines as well. You have the same capability in linux which is handled by xorg.conf. Place blame where blame is due.
              Last edited by deanjo; 31 August 2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                So you blame nvidia for not fixing your broken EDID on your TV? Sorry but no driver can fix that. When your correcting overscan in the windows drivers your adjusting modelines as well. You have the same capability in linux which is handled by xorg.conf. Place blame where blame is due.
                Who are you referring to that is blaming Nvidia for 'broken' EDID on the TV? I did not see anybody make that statement. The OP asked for help correcting the overscan, which was easy in Windows, and not obvious to a novice Linux user. he may have been a little overzealous in following up his original post a few times, but I imagine he was really frustrated. I've been there too. Correcting modelines manually is not intuitive until after you have done it a few times (if then). Adding the same gui functionality to help generate the correct modelines in Linux as they provide in windows is really not too much to ask, IMO. Is the EDID broken? I think that is debatable. There are a LOT of TVs manufactured for the consumer space that don't allow the user to turn off the overscan. For every application, except as a PC monitor, this is fine. Just about every TV show, DVD movie and video game system is framed with an overscanned screen in mind. And, since those TVs are not marketed as computer monitors the EDID information could be considered perfectly accurate. Would I like to be able to turn off the overscan? Of course I would. But the point is that Nvidia decided it was worthwhile to add the overscan adjustment in their Windows driver gui. So why no in their Linux driver gui? Same thing goes for AMD/ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by gsacks View Post
                  Who are you referring to that is blaming Nvidia for 'broken' EDID on the TV? I did not see anybody make that statement. The OP asked for help correcting the overscan, which was easy in Windows, and not obvious to a novice Linux user. he may have been a little overzealous in following up his original post a few times, but I imagine he was really frustrated. I've been there too. Correcting modelines manually is not intuitive until after you have done it a few times (if then). Adding the same gui functionality to help generate the correct modelines in Linux as they provide in windows is really not too much to ask, IMO. Is the EDID broken? I think that is debatable. There are a LOT of TVs manufactured for the consumer space that don't allow the user to turn off the overscan. For every application, except as a PC monitor, this is fine. Just about every TV show, DVD movie and video game system is framed with an overscanned screen in mind. And, since those TVs are not marketed as computer monitors the EDID information could be considered perfectly accurate. Would I like to be able to turn off the overscan? Of course I would. But the point is that Nvidia decided it was worthwhile to add the overscan adjustment in their Windows driver gui. So why no in their Linux driver gui? Same thing goes for AMD/ATI.
                  Actually a gui for modelines would fall in the X devs domain. Modeline is a Xorg configuration option and is not vender specific.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Actually a gui for modelines would fall in the X devs domain. Modeline is a Xorg configuration option and is not vender specific.
                    By that logic, Microsoft would be responsible for providing the overscan adjustment tool for Windows, but in fact both Nvidia and AMD/ATI provide it instead.

Besides, even if I accepted you logic, it would only hold true if the Nvidia driver was open source. But the Nvidia binary drivers are incompatible with the X display settings gui. (At least the one supplied with Ubuntu 9.04), and forces you to use the Nvidia supplied X settings program instead. So I would say that Nvidia has clearly occupied that territory and has made the settings very vendor specific at least as far as a front end is concerned.

Mind you, I am very happy with the Nvidia driver performance, and extremely happy with VDPAU. That is why I switched from AMD/ATI to Nvidia in the first place. I just do not understand why you would take a position that leaving out a useful feature is defensible for any reason other than that it is a simple oversight, or that they have just not gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X