NVIDIA 545.29.06 Linux Driver Released With Source 2 Engine Fix On XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

And it fits better (IMHO) as a reflection to its relation to Xorg (or is it XOrg - and on that note is is Xwayland or XWayland!! - it really doesn't matter, I have seen it used both ways by people highly involved ) But yeah, X first makes perfect sense to me.
    No no no! It needs to be X-in-the-Way-Land!!!

Comment

I've been testing this on Fedora 39, by uninstalling the rpmfusion packages and running the nvidia installer manually.
      545.29.02 was already a very good release when it comes to Wayland support.
      ​​​​​​​I can now run the Yuzu switch emulator with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland.
      The .06 update indeed fixes CS2.

Comment

And, I was able to start Kubuntu 23.10 Plasma session (and SDDM) on Wayland using Nouveau driver with kernel 6.6. It is a server with GTX 1650 card on which I don't need gaming performance. Desktop is smooth and flawless.

Just wanted to inform.

Comment

Perhaps it will be a good driver and already gets into the updates of Linux distributions. 02 was wrong(beta).​

Comment

X things come with the letter X in front (xclock xkill xset and such) it is only logical that Wayland stuff come with Wayland at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
              X things come with the letter X in front (xclock xkill xset and such) it is only logical that Wayland stuff come with Wayland at first.
              Xwayland it's X thing. It's X.Org Server modified to run on top of Wayland compositors.

Comment

Well, I suppose "Will nVidia drop support for the GTX750 before they sort out Wayland compatibility?" is no longer a problem for me. I got bitten by the Stable Diffusion bug and, quickly tiring of "20 minutes per image" CPU rendering (on my 2016 laptop), decided to take advantage of the cyber monday sales to order an RTX 3060 on a card short enough to not require $40-80 worth of ultra-low-profile angled SATA cables to fit into my desktop PC. (It's somewhere between 1 and 2 inches longer than my GTX750)

If nVidia's still insufficiently good with Wayland when crash recovery is all sorted out and I'm willing to switch off X11, maybe I'll slap a low-end AMD GPU into the second x16 slot (it can't cost much to match or exceed the nVidia GTX750 I have now) so the nVidia one can be for GPU compute only. (Granted, my current mobo only has one x16 slot, but I doubt I'll still be using a CPU from 2011 in my desktop by the time Wayland is fit for purpose.)
                Last edited by ssokolow; 25 November 2023, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  Well, I suppose "Will nVidia drop support for the GTX750 before they sort out Wayland compatibility?" is no longer a problem for me. I got bitten by the Stable Diffusion bug and, quickly tiring of "20 minutes per image" CPU rendering (on my 2016 laptop), decided to take advantage of the cyber monday sales to order an RTX 3060 on a card short enough to not require $40-80 worth of ultra-low-profile angled SATA cables to fit into my desktop PC. (It's somewhere between 1 and 2 inches longer than my GTX750)

If nVidia's still insufficiently good with Wayland when crash recovery is all sorted out and I'm willing to switch off X11, maybe I'll slap a low-end AMD GPU into the second x16 slot (it can't cost much to match or exceed the nVidia GTX750 I have now) so the nVidia one can be for GPU compute only. (Granted, my current mobo only has one x16 slot, but I doubt I'll still be using a CPU from 2011 in my desktop by the time Wayland is fit for purpose.)
                  Dual cards? On a desktop? Isn't that a major hassle even in Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

Dual cards? On a desktop? Isn't that a major hassle even in Linux?
                    If you want to display on both, yes. If you only want to display on one of them and use the other for compute, it shouldn't be appreciably more hassle than if your BIOS/UEFI insists on leaving the iGPU visible when you plug in a dGPU. Heck, I might as well make sure my next mobo has appropriate chipset support for IOMMUing one to a VM while I'm at it.

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if the nVidia card were getting long in the tooth or I managed to last another nine years before having to switch to Wayland, given that I run LTS distros on top of running KDE, not GNOME, and avoiding distros like Fedora.

...and, aside from choosing nVidia again for wanting to do more GPU compute-oriented stuff, I've been happy with the level of Linux support I got from them since I initially switched to them because TwinView performed much better than Xinerama-ing an ATi Rage 128 AGP and a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI together back in the mid 2000s.

(I think, in the entire ~20 years I've been running nVidia on Linux, I've only needed to upgrade off the distro-picked version three times, one of which was because my brand new GTX750 was too new. The other two were a crash bug and a memory leak, respectively.)
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 26 November 2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                      And, I was able to start Kubuntu 23.10 Plasma session (and SDDM) on Wayland using Nouveau driver with kernel 6.6. It is a server with GTX 1650 card on which I don't need gaming performance. Desktop is smooth and flawless.

Just wanted to inform.
                      This is nice to know! I have an 4 year old laptop with that video card in it. I actually just threw Nobara 39 onto it since that just came out a day or two ago. 39 is based on KDE and not Gnome. So far so good!

Comment

Working...
                      X