No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Privately Releases OpenCL Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the reasons OpenCL is so attractive is that it gives a general purpose solution for speeding up typical desktop operations as well :

Test signature

Comment

Good question. We're only writing the closed source driver ourselves, and making use of existing closed source code in several places. We don't have any plans to make that code public in any form.
      Ofocurse not, if you steal code from other programms then you cant open source "your own" peace of software, thats the only reason. I bet many parts of Ati closed driver are owned by someone else. If Ati release the code, they will be sued by several companies.

I can imagine that to clean up their driver will take many months and the driver will be slower so ati will never be able to beat the closed source driver of other companies e.g Nvidia.

Comment

??

darned 10 character limit

EDIT -- just to be clear when I said "make use of existing closed source code" I meant "make use of OUR existing closed source code, eg things like the shader compiler".
        Last edited by bridgman; 17 June 2009, 07:00 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze321 View Post
          Ofocurse not, if you steal code from other programms then you cant open source "your own" peace of software, thats the only reason. I bet many parts of Ati closed driver are owned by someone else. If Ati release the code, they will be sued by several companies.
          I think the word you are looking for is "license" and not "steal"

It's called middle ware, and it is a great business for Cell developers at this generation of consoles, as the PS3 is so difficult to develop for.

Middle ware solutions also had a boom with Sega Saturn, as it also had many different processors, and generally a pain to develop for.

Middle ware ease the (game) developers work.

OpenAL is an example for open source middle ware.

Unreal 3 engine is an example of closed source middle ware.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            One of the reasons OpenCL is so attractive is that it gives a general purpose solution for speeding up typical desktop operations as well :
            How do you as a developer decide if you want to use the CPU or the GPU for a task? Trail and error, and hope that the test is representative?

So it is about graphics and video then

Comment

There's usually some trial and error
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                There's usually some trial and error
                Scary

Now I understand what you meant my 10 characters limit

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
                  Why does nvidia support opencl with such enthusiasm? I would have expected them to delay their opencl drivers as long as possible to gain a competitive advantage with cuda market share. Not like i'm complaining though, just wondering.
                  Simply because it increases the GPU computing market. Cuda offers a solution for programmers who prefer to code but not having to worry about items such as memory management, the C compiler handles that for Cuda and it also serves as a foundation for other API's such as openCL, Fortran, C++, Java, DX11, etc. openCL offers a lower level API which sometimes is more desirable for development but you also have to do things like manage your own memory which can add to code complexity. With openCL support added they can appease both preference of coding.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Simply because it increases the GPU computing market. Cuda offers a solution for programmers who prefer to code but not having to worry about items such as memory management, the C compiler handles that for Cuda and it also serves as a foundation for other API's such as openCL, Fortran, C++, Java, DX11, etc. openCL offers a lower level API which sometimes is more desirable for development but you also have to do things like manage your own memory which can add to code complexity. With openCL support added they can appease both preference of coding.
                    How can it be, that nVidia mostly mentions CUDA and not OpenCL?

Didn't AMD, nVidia, Intel agree to deprecate CUDA and Close To Metal?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                      How can it be, that nVidia mostly mentions CUDA and not OpenCL?
                      Actually Nvidia has been promoting openCL as well since it's introduction from apple (in fact they were the ones that worked closely with apple to develop it).

Didn't AMD, nVidia, Intel agree to deprecate CUDA and Close To Metal?
                      Nope, they just agreed to have a unified cross platform solution as well. Much like openGL and DirectX. DirectX is windows only but OGL covers all OS's and support for both is strong from the hardware manufacturers.

BTW intel is also working on their own proprietary solution as well for larabee.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 17 June 2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X