Originally posted by Kano View Post
      http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh

The script is only tested with a pure xorg.conf, which can be reset using

rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
      dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
      Thank you. I will test it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
        I've asked this in another thread of someone else, but....did the AMD binary drivers run fine without compiz present?
        I didn't do any testing of a pure metacity session. I dropped back to metacity for gaming and other OpenGL stuff. It was stable enough, or seemed to be. Compiz always loads first on my setup. I'm not sure if that leaves some things in an unstable state or not. Switching to VTs (via Ctrl+Alt+F1-6) and back to X usually had disastrous results eventually. Very random instability with fglrx. It just wasn't as mature, stable, or feature rich as nVidia's drivers. Deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific than that. I guess when you see people on Phoronix claiming AMD's driver is as good as nVidia's, that's the time to buy a Radeon

Comment

Ah, thanks!
          I claim for fglrx to be better than nvidia's stuff - but only for me. I don't use compiz. I also have no doubt that for other people, nvidia stuff works far better for them than amd's stuff. So goes the nature of people having different systems - being said, I would say that if you use compiz, nvidia cards are the way to go right now.

Comment

AA?

just curious - is the GTS250 capable of running Compiz + a windowed OpenGL hw-accelerated application with Anti-Aliasing turned on?

Comment

A little off-topic, but I have a question for the topic starter. You said you would like something more powerful than the 7900GT, why isn't it powerfull enough for you? Is it for running games or 3D intensive applications, or is it underpowered for running Compiz?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to buy a used 7900GT or GTX and it would have to be powerfull enough to run Compiz or KWin smoothly on a 1900x1200 + 1280?1024 (2 monitor) display. Do you think a 7900GT would be able to handle that?

Comment

You can use compiz even with lowend intel onboard, a 7900 is much faster.

Comment

Even with high resolutions? I can't even run KWin with decent performance on a Radeon 9600 Mobility (using radeon driver) on my 1400x1050 laptop screen, which should perform better than a low end intel onboard card. No offense to the open source ATI driver developers, as their driver works much better than fglrx.

Comment

Working...
                  X