Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidia GeForce GTS250 on Ubuntu 9.04

Hi all,

Is anyone here using a GTS250 on Ubuntu 9.04, or Linux in general I guess. I was wondering about how these cards work with Compiz, gaming, Wine, etc. I have an old 7900GT which is beautiful under Linux, but it's a bit slow these days. Currently got an HD4770, which is a nice card, but dear God fglrx (9.5) is crap! Yeah I can play games ok (not with Wine it seems though), but I have to disable Compiz every time. Also 3D acceleration under VMware locks up, Wine (playing Hurrican) eventually messes up and leaves the X server unresponsive, then locks the keyboard. Also I've got no alpha-blur in Compiz. Seeing as the HD4770s are in short supply at the moment, shouldn't have any trouble passing this one on to a faithful Windows user

Oh.. video tearing and slow playback while Compiz is running is also an issue with me with fglrx. All of these issues really taint my experience on the Linux desktop. So yeah, I wanna come back to nVidia (at least for now .. maybe open source ATI drivers will be good at some stage for 3D etc), with something a little more powerful than the 7900GT, just making sure I'm not walking into another mine field

So, GTS250 all good?

GTS 250 is rebranded 9800 GTX+, a similar chip was used first on 8800 GTS 512 (G92). I have got that 8800 GTS 512, it is fast, but compared to the GT200 chips it is certainly slower. Depending on the screen res you want to use go for a GTS 260 or higher instead or use the GTS 250. For many games it is enough to run with 1680x1050 currently.

Comment

Thanks for the response Kano. Yeah, I've got a 22" 1680x1050 screen, not intending on buying a new one until a new build, which would include a higher end card like the GTX275 (or a GT300 if they're due out by year's end).

The GTS250 seems to be marginally quicker than the HD4770 in the benchmarks, so should be perfectly adequate. And it'll run Compiz properly with v-sync and alpha blur (yes it's important to me, I love the eye candy desktop )

Comment

Compiz is cool
        Video is cool
        Gaming is cool
        and All works together without problem
        Enable Compiz V-Sync, disable detect refresh rate and manually set it to double the refresh rate of your screen. This simple setting will give you tear free compiz, tear free video and games.
        Power Mizer works like charm. My GTX 260 stays at 300/100 frequency in idle and at 45C. My previous 9800GT (G92) also works perfectly.
        Don't buy that 4770 unless you want to suffer from the broken drivers.

With the settings I talked about, even my ancient machine with a Quadro FX 1100 (FX5700) can handle tear free compiz/video with ease. The old machine has become so much usable under Ubuntu 9.04 with Nvidia's driver.
        Last edited by FunkyRider; 06-01-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah, nVidia's driver is definitely awesome. I tried the HD4770, but fglrx was really crap :P .. video playback with desktop zoom in compiz, stuttery, slow, and crashing frequently when OpenGL apps (eg OpenGL acceleration in VMWare) were run at the same time as compiz.

I have since sold the 4770, and got a GTX260. Brilliant stuff. I needed to add some xorg.conf options like AddARGBGLXVisuals (?) and AllowGLXWithComposite to make it truly smooth.

I hope AMD can really lift fglrx to the level of nvidia's driver. I would then buy Radeons. But until then, it's nVidia only, and that's what I recommend to everyone else too. (take note AMD, it's important to have good drivers!)

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
            Yeah, nVidia's driver is definitely awesome. I tried the HD4770, but fglrx was really crap :P .. video playback with desktop zoom in compiz, stuttery, slow, and crashing frequently when OpenGL apps (eg OpenGL acceleration in VMWare) were run at the same time as compiz.

I have since sold the 4770, and got a GTX260. Brilliant stuff. I needed to add some xorg.conf options like AddARGBGLXVisuals (?) and AllowGLXWithComposite to make it truly smooth.

I hope AMD can really lift fglrx to the level of nvidia's driver. I would then buy Radeons. But until then, it's nVidia only, and that's what I recommend to everyone else too. (take note AMD, it's important to have good drivers!)
            I've asked this in another thread of someone else, but....did the AMD binary drivers run fine without compiz present?

Comment

xv is crap without compiz too. Lots of tearing with my 3450 when fglrx is active. Xserver 1.4.2 - Debian 5.0.

Comment

I am a happy user of a GTS250 from asus and i can really recommend it. It works out of the box for me in ubuntu.
                For 5 years I had a radeon card with a lot of problems like bad games performance, no compiz effects etc. because of the fglrx. Now it belongs to the past with my new graphics card. And yes, it is even possible to run games like ETQW with compiz turned on .
                Nevertheless i have some wishes to the nvidia proprietary drivers:
                - DKMS support
                - RandR support

... I know ati progresses a lot with it's drivers in the last 2 years but i really don't want to wait for another 5 years to play modern games and watch videos without tearing under linux.

Comment

My nvidia script, which also runs on ubuntu has dkms support.

Comment

That's great. Where can i get this script?

Comment

Working...
                    X