NVIDIA Working On Support For Valve's Gamescope Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scirocco View Post
    I don't see the point, games are super slow in wayland with nvidia.
    That's exactly the spot where GameScope will come to the rescue to make them play super-fast again...

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
      why did you leave amd for nvidia on linux? it should be the other way around.
      Yeah, go ahead, make me feel even worse about this.
      The real answer is price, though

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

The nvidia driver doesn't support any KMS gamma functionality yet. As a consequence, features like Night Light or monitor profiles with correction tables cannot work yet in Wayland compositors.
        Even with that being the case, that's entirely NVDA's fault. It is a tremendous failure of theirs that they have to spend money hiring software developers to work around deficiencies and software they themselves publish.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco View Post
          I don't see the point, games are super slow in wayland with nvidia.
          I had the same experience, but I've had a much better time with software that doesn't go through xwayland, and that's part of what this helps with. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by games that use a native Wayland path.

And example is Minecraft. Great on my Intel iGPU and my NVIDIA MX250 under X11, but only the iGPU under Wayland. NVIDIA on Wayland was a slideshow. But when I compiled a newer GLFW and told Minecraft to use it, NVIDIA performance under Minecraft was instantly fixed, it took xwayland out of the equation.

Fedora 35 and Ubuntu 22.04 and newer have native Wayland libraries that will drastically improve things for gamers, and this will help legacy games 'short circuit' around the xwayland shortcomings.

Comment

Working...
          X