NVIDIA Working On Support For Valve's Gamescope Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Working On Support For Valve's Gamescope Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: NVIDIA Working On Support For Valve's Gamescope Wayland Compositor

Valve's Gamescope Wayland compositor is what was born out of their former Steamcompmgr effort but rewritten to target Wayland, interfacing directly with DRM/KMS APIs for enhanced efficiency, and making use of Vulkan. To date Gamescope has worked with the Intel and Radeon open-source Linux graphics driver stacks while the NVIDIA proprietary driver is seeing work in the direction of supporting it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So they focus on gamescope instead of trying to get Optimus working on Wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      Optimus working on Wayland...
      It works for me in "hybrid" mode (primary is Intel, NVIDIA only for offloading) on Manjaro KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        So they focus on gamescope instead of trying to get Optimus working on Wayland...
        They could work on multiple fronts. They don't have just one developer.

Comment

Gamescope is what I actually miss after switching from AMD. It was one simple trick to run a game with problematic fullscreen or avoid stutters when running in non-native resolution.

This is a good thing as they might possibly improve the Wayland support in their driver overall. I keep my hopes low, though.

Comment

Isn't it like... really easy to emulate GAMMA_LUT_CRTC? Where would it be unsupported? I guess the FD limit thing is fine, but why do they need so many file descriptors?

The broad summary of what's going on here just sets off my code review spidey senses lol.
            Last edited by microcode; 25 March 2022, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              Isn't it like... really easy to emulate GAMMA_LUT_CRTC? Where would it be unsupported?
              The nvidia driver doesn't support any KMS gamma functionality yet. As a consequence, features like Night Light or monitor profiles with correction tables cannot work yet in Wayland compositors.

I guess the FD limit thing is fine, but why do they need so many file descriptors?
              There are many reasons for needing large numbers of file descriptors, most of which apply with upstream drivers as well. E.g. every buffer shared between the Wayland compositor and a client is represented by a file descriptor.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                Gamescope is what I actually miss after switching from AMD. It was one simple trick to run a game with problematic fullscreen or avoid stutters when running in non-native resolution.

This is a good thing as they might possibly improve the Wayland support in their driver overall. I keep my hopes low, though.
                why did you leave amd for nvidia on linux? it should be the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                  why did you leave amd for nvidia on linux? it should be the other way around.
                  I did it for https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks

Comment

I don't see the point, games are super slow in wayland with nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                    X