Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Default To Wayland With NVIDIA For v510+ Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

No, I'm pretty sure a compositor crash will kill your desktop session under Wayland regardless of GPU vendor.

Likewise for things like your password manager auto-type or xdotool not yet having been re-implemented on top of the accessibility APIs.
    I'm using Wayland since 2 Years as daily driver, dispite of issues when running on a nvidia card I was not having any gamestopper not even real bumpy ride. Especially not in the last year. Im useing it on intel (haswell) even more then 2 Years - maybe more then 3-4 years (ubuntu - now pop os) - casual surfing and office. On my Workstation Laptop I mostly boot with iGPU (intel). The Nvidia dGPU is only used for calculation offload. My AMD gaming rig is on wayland since 2019. At the beginning I have had experienced some games not working with wine and wayland but they have worked fine with x11 - AC Syndicate for instance. But around 2020 this incidences became rare. Since 2021 NO issue with Wayland + Mesa under PopOS not even firefox moaning.

I know its just anecdotal experience but there is no bumpy road with wayland on Intel or AMD (for me). Nividia Wayland Experience became way better with 510.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 22 March 2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Yes, because AMD drivers are perfect, in fact, they're famous for it.

Not.
      I have never installed "official" AMD drivers under Linux.

Mesa ist close to perfect ;P Even stable compiled against AOCC and some aggressive flags -O3 -march=znver2 -mfnotrappingmath... Doesnt like -Ofast, though - Cyberpunk gets blurry.
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 22 March 2022, 08:50 AM.

Comment

i continue with problems using optimus laptops, i doubt this working in that cases, maybe i make a fresh install of ubuntu 22.04 this weekend and test to see how it works

Comment

So the NVIDIA on GBM is reportedly in a good shape, right? Well it's not for me, sadly. I'm using the most recent driver on Arch and both Mutter and KWin have their sets of issues. Still on GNOME the vRAM is leaking (which I believe was known issue due to the lack of hardware cursor support, with pending fix?), games are sort working about right, but when using high res screen and upscaling the game from 1440p it stutters a lot. On Plasma there are glitches, black boxes in place of context menus fadng out, some pixelated mess on panel or krunner and so on... I'm was convinced that it's just unfinished, but I guess I need to report some bugs?

All Wayland sessions I tried were fine on AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
            So the NVIDIA on GBM is reportedly in a good shape, right? Well it's not for me, sadly. I'm using the most recent driver on Arch and both Mutter and KWin have their sets of issues. Still on GNOME the vRAM is leaking (which I believe was known issue due to the lack of hardware cursor support, with pending fix?), games are sort working about right, but when using high res screen and upscaling the game from 1440p it stutters a lot. On Plasma there are glitches, black boxes in place of context menus fadng out, some pixelated mess on panel or krunner and so on... I'm was convinced that it's just unfinished, but I guess I need to report some bugs?

All Wayland sessions I tried were fine on AMD.
            GBM support on the nvidia proprietary driver is being heavily worked on still, so hopefully your issues should fade given enough time.

Comment

Side note. My Ubuntu 20.04 LTS does not run X for around 2 weeks now, after I did run the normal security updates. Had to switch to Wayland, which is still working. No problems so far.

Comment

I'm still having problems with my work laptop (intel + nvidia + external monitors):

Blacklisting the i915 on /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (install i915 /usr/bin/false) disables the laptop screen, but allow me to use external monitors (and the good fractional scaling of Wayland ).

Now, the only problem with Wayland in day-to-day use is the bunch of the outdated electron applications.

Comment

On Manjaro I tried Wayland on my Optimus (Intel+Nvidia) laptop. The only requirement - don't install any Optimus Manager or whatever switcher you can find. By default it boots in "hybrid" mode allowing offloading of apps and games to Nvidia. And surprisingly it worked without a problems for me. But I had other Wayland issues (mostly specific to KDE) so I rolled back to Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Yes, because AMD drivers are perfect, in fact, they're famous for it.

Not.
                    NVIDIA is good on Windows, but on Linux is pure and absolute antistandard garbage.

Yes, even today AMDGPU has a lot of things to improve, but with I don't have to worry when I upgrade the kernel. I use Fedora, so the kernel is updated constantly.

AMD knows how the Linux standard graphics stack work, but NVIDIA still has to learn everything because NVIDIA rejects everything that smells as a standard.

Comment

I'm looking forward for this change, not because I'm a Ubuntu user, but because this will help to show developers (specially the non-Linux savvy proprietary ones) that Wayland is the current standard of displays servers on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X