Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 510.47.03 Linux Driver Released With Vulkan 1.3 Support, RTX 3050 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 510.47.03 Linux Driver Released With Vulkan 1.3 Support, RTX 3050 Compatibility

Phoronix: NVIDIA 510.47.03 Linux Driver Released With Vulkan 1.3 Support, RTX 3050 Compatibility

While it was just yesterday NVIDIA released the 470.103.01 Linux driver, today they have made public the 510.47.03 Linux driver as their first stable version in the NVIDIA 510 Linux driver series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eagerly awaiting to see GBM improvements at work. Because KDE is still a mess on top of Wayland/GBM. Stuff is just not updated correctly on the screen.

Comment

Yes, the GBM improvements are what interest me. I would love to switch from i3wm to Sway for the improved handling of multi screen setups.

I have read about people running Sway with some caveats and some tinkering. Although I haven't read about any improvements with the 510 beta. So that is what I'm waiting for. And yes, I know Sway will probably never officially support Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Eagerly awaiting to see GBM improvements at work. Because KDE is still a mess on top of Wayland/GBM. Stuff is just not updated correctly on the screen.
        Are you sure you're not suffering from the QtWayland bug where the screen doesn't update unless the mouse is being moved? There's a separate patch for that, if you're not already running the latest. Plasma's been working fine here, with that patch.

Comment

Does it play well with Wayland? Some older driver I used (optimus/laptop) was not so great and I am on X.org (also because many of the apps I use are not yet compatible with Wayland).

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post

Are you sure you're not suffering from the QtWayland bug where the screen doesn't update unless the mouse is being moved? There's a separate patch for that, if you're not already running the latest. Plasma's been working fine here, with that patch.
            I don't know what it was, it's better now.
            Chromium is still a b*tch and craps all over the place, but at least the taskbar is usable again. It still glitches (and so do a few other things), but at least I can trust it to show the real time (it would freeze before). Activating a combo box still draws the choices half a screen away.

Comment

Damn! The nvidia 510 driver is a performance drag in SOTTR and the kernels beyond 5.14 have weird-ass sound noises at bootup for my Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen. So far the best combination as of lately is Kernel 5.14 coupled with nvidia 495.46.

I pretty much use SOTTR as the litmus test for gaming performance concerning kernels and nvidia drivers on my end.
              Last edited by creative; 09 February 2022, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Is it?
                My setup: Intel CPU; iGPU + 2xNvidia; Debian; Gnome; Wayland; Firefox;

Debian testing/Sid (and Fedora 35), Gnome 41.3 and Nvidia 470.x that enable Nvidia GBM. This version makes Gnome Wayland available out of the box (but X11 remains the default when the proprietary driver is installed). The DE runs on the iGPU but I can start programs with 'launch using discrete GPU'.
                Everything works well. There are occasional glitches (X11/XWayland issues) when running on the dGPU.

You can also run programs from the terminal, say Unigine Heaven, on the first dGPU while having the monitor connected to your motherboard. This is out-of-the-box after installing the non-free Nvidia drivers. Just launch with
                __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia ./heaven
                Not sure if you can offload to a second dGPU or two dGPU. Anyhow, promising times. I have high hopes that Gnome 42/Wayland and Nvidia 510.x will essentially sort the Nvidia/GPU (w/o Wayland) issues.

Comment

we need optimus support on wayland

Comment

Working...
                  X