I just bought an nvidia card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    A couple of months ago, I installed Vista for a friend. Windows update helpfully installed a driver for his 4850HD, which didn't even support the card (immediate blue screen). It then kept overwriting the correct driver on startup.

For the record, Jaunty installed and ran perfectly on the very same system, without configuring a single damn driver.

Well if we are going to use single instances as proof, my ten year old installed Win 7 RC and it immediately had fully featured drivers.

My senior citizen father also can install Windows XP and have 3d drivers installed via win update and for his uses it works perfectly fine. He can even run games.

My sister on her mac enjoys full 3d without having to download a damn thing.

Seriously, much like windows users like to bring up old outdated arguments against linux, the linux users do the EXACT same thing against other OS's.

Comment

BTW thank you for providing a example of ATI's incompetence of keeping their driver current for the worlds largest adopted OS. If there is a lack of a driver on Win it's not MS's fault, that blame falls solely on the hardware manufacturer.

Comment

In case you didn't know, ati release monthly drivers for windows too. That keeps them fairly current.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          In win land it's called windows update.
          Last time I used Windows provided drivers I didn't have OpenGL support. Dx was working.

My sister on her mac enjoys full 3d without having to download a damn thing.
          Exactly the same here (except driver isn't mature yet), but on Linux and Ati card :>

If there is a lack of a driver on Win it's not MS's fault, that blame falls solely on the hardware manufacturer
          The same about Linux, OS X, Solaris, BSD, but OS devs can fill those gaps and Linux is an excellent example here.
          Last edited by kraftman; 12 July 2009, 07:42 AM.

Comment

BTW thank you for providing a example of ATI's incompetence of keeping their driver current for the worlds largest adopted OS. If there is a lack of a driver on Win it's not MS's fault, that blame falls solely on the hardware manufacturer.
            Thanks for reminding me why I've put you on my ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Thanks for reminding me why I've put you on my ignore list.
              Most people that live in a world of munchkins, unicorns, and smurfs do. I tend to insert reality into their world.

Comment

Yeah, aren't they going even so far as to saying that Windows is a highly stable OS on top of which highly unstable 3rd party programs (and drivers) are ran and that's why you get a crashy experience. (might possibly even be true)

Comment

Working...
                X