Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 510.39.01 Linux Beta Brings Vulkan Dynamic Rendering, AV1 VDPAU Decode & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
    I made another attempt at running GNOME Wayland with this driver. So far I see a bit of improvement as well as regressions. I don't know who is responsible for what and there were some GNOME updates along the way, so maybe something's fixed on the compositor/shell/toolkit side, I don't know.

-- wall of text --
    So, I've been using NVIDIA with Linux since around 2000.

I've had no screen tearing, no lags, no crashes of the Xorg server for the past 10+ years. Everything is smooth as it can be. I'm running XFCE without compositing under Fedora if that matters. Games work as well, don't remember any crashes. Suspend and resume work perfectly. Last time I've managed over 23 cycles until I had to install a new kernel.

The fact that Gnome is buggy as hell probably says more about Gnome rather than NVIDIA. KDE 5 has been a crap show as well.

Maybe just maybe your whole experience is indicative of Linux and its priorities [on the desktop]. Insisting on running half-assed Wayland is kinda befuddling to say the least. Overall it's all quite surprising when there's an OS which works nearly perfectly and that's Windows of course. I'm struggling to understand why people choose to go through multiple circles of hell just to run an OS with no direction, no QA/QC whatsoever and whose developers normally care only about their narrow use cases.

Why are you wasting precious time with Linux? Where are all your bug reports? I don't remember any topics made by you on NVIDIA Linux forums. This all looks quite pathetic to be completely honest. When I have issues with NVIDIA I pester them endlessly.

You said your Xorg server crashed. Where's the backtrace? Where's the coredump? How are Xorg/NVIDIA developers supposed to fix it?

You made it look like NVIDIA is an absolute shitshow on Linux while AMD experience is rock solid. That's not what I've heard from people running open source AMD drivers. That was certainly not my experience with AMD when I ran 5600 XT for five months having filed six bug reports some of which took a year to be fixed.

If you have a semi-decent NVIDIA GPU go sell it and buy something comparable from AMD. Why haven't you already done that 150 times? So much pain, so much resentment when everything can be solved in a matter of days, maybe weeks at most.

I don't have any relationship to NVIDIA, I don't own their shares, I've never received their products for free.
    Last edited by birdie; 12 January 2022, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
      AV1 over VDPAU…. Means Firefox acceleration?
      Firefox uses VA-API, not VDPAU. (It also doesn’t support AV1 HW acceleration yet, being worked on now)

Comment

the question is always the same: how can i get regular updates for ubuntu? like if i wanted to install this how would i go about doing it in a few minutes like on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Maybe just maybe your whole experience is indicative of Linux and its priorities [on the desktop]. Insisting on running half-assed Wayland is kinda befuddling to say the least. Overall it's all quite surprising when there's an OS which works nearly perfectly and that's Windows of course. I'm struggling to understand why people choose to go through multiple circles of hell just to run an OS with no direction, no QA/QC whatsoever and whose developers normally care only about their narrow use cases.
          Here we go, are you seriously suggesting someone who is having a hard time with a couple bugs with a DE/Driver combination to just use some other OS? Must you escalate every situation where someone is having an issue that might even slightly have to do with NVIDIA to something akin to a personal attack? Also windows isn't a miracle OS without bugs. go look at any social media site with a NVIDIA presence and you'll find people with issues with any OS.

Why are you wasting precious time with Linux? Where are all your bug reports? I don't remember any topics made by you on NVIDIA Linux forums. This all looks quite pathetic to be completely honest. When I have issues with NVIDIA I pester them endlessly.

You said your Xorg server crashed. Where's the backtrace? Where's the coredump? How are Xorg/NVIDIA developers supposed to fix it?
          Demanding people list bug reports and then insinuating even if they did it's not good enough... At least you've made it clear you aren't here to have a conversation just criticize and make personal attacks.

If you have a semi-decent NVIDIA GPU go sell it and buy something comparable from AMD. Why haven't you already done that 150 times? So much pain, so much resentment when everything can be solved in a matter of days, maybe weeks at most.
          the solution you suggest is sell it and buy an AMD card... you're aware there may be other reasons they bought a NVIDIA card right? Do you honestly expect a written policy document on every reason someone has made a purchase and every tidbit of information neatly cataloged before they make a post?

can you not read back what you wrote and understand why people accuse you of flame-baiting, especially based on what the previous comment wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            the question is always the same: how can i get regular updates for ubuntu? like if i wanted to install this how would i go about doing it in a few minutes like on windows?
            Simple:

You wait until the driver is declared to be stable by nVidia & then just use the following PPA:

Fresh drivers from upstream, currently shipping Nvidia. ## Current releases Current production branch release: 535.154.05 Current new feature branch release: 550.54.14 Current beta release: 550.40.07 ## Legacy releases 470.223.02 (x86_64) - GKxxx “Kepler” GPUs 390.157 (x86 / x86_64 / ARM) - GF1xx “Fermi” GPUs (*​) 340.108 (x86 / x86_64) - GeForce 8 and 9 series GPUs (*​) 304.137 (x86 / x86_64) - GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs (*​) 173.14.39 (x86 / x86_64) - GeForce 5 series GPUs (*​) 96.43.2...

Please don't tell me that you have been using Ubuntu since at least 2012 but never had heard of this before...

Comment

So, I've been using NVIDIA with Linux since around 2000.

I've had no screen tearing, no lags, no crashes of the Xorg server for the past 10+ years.

I don't have any relationship to NVIDIA, I don't own their shares, I've never received their products for free.
              Yeah, same here. Exactly the same. Just to add to that, I've ran debian unstable/edge with some ubuntu (always latest devel) packages on top (I added ubuntu repos/packages with the very first release in 2004 or so), updated daily, for just as long. I've also ran firefox nightly for just as long (well, almost - obviously seamonkey before ff, but using daily builds directly from the tree that I built myself - I no longer build ff myself though, just use the nightly channel).

The difference with birdie is I started using gnome3 quite early after its release. Before that I ran xfce, and before that gnome2.

No problems. I've had 4 different nvidia gpus in that time and changed motherboard/CPU/etc at least 3 times.

I've never reinstalled linux. I've had problems with systemd updates 2-3 times that I can remember, and the same amount of times I've had to manually download a day old firefox nightly build because the latest one crashed instantly on startup.

Things just work. I also run multi-monitor and several weird USB peripherals. The reason people have problems with linux is because they use their distros prepackaged desktop umbrella packages, like the "ubuntu-desktop" package, or whatever the umbrella is. I've never used those.

Comment

Originally posted by WizardGed View Post
                Here we go, are you seriously suggesting someone who is having a hard time with a couple bugs with a DE/Driver combination to just use some other OS? Must you escalate every situation where someone is having an issue that might even slightly have to do with NVIDIA to something akin to a personal attack? Also windows isn't a miracle OS without bugs. go look at any social media site with a NVIDIA presence and you'll find people with issues with any OS.
                The bugs looked criticial enough I would have stopped using whatever I was using if I'd faced anything like that.

Windows does work [near] perfectly on supported hardware (which is pretty much everything released in the past +10 years). Period. Aside from anecdotal stories where people download crap, warez, etc. and run it. At the same time I know tons of people who've used Linux for up to ten years only to go back to Windows and never look back. They were fed up with never-ending bugs and issues no one gave a damn about. I don't know a single person IRL who started using Linux and was happy because of their choice. Most do it out of pure necessity. Not a single one of them chose Linux because "it means privacy", or "more control over your software" or "open source". That's nonsense for the gullible.

Demanding people list bug reports and then insinuating even if they did it's not good enough... At least you've made it clear you aren't here to have a conversation just criticize and make personal attacks.
                Where did I attack the guy? Quotes would be great. Oh, wait, none will be given. You're probably person N55 here who throws baseless accusations against me. Too bad the previous 50 or so have had zero contributions to Open Source. Most of you come here, start waging war against me because you feel righteous and then disappear (to go back to Windows/MacOS).

I told the dude to file bug reports and offered him to change his GPU because Linux on the desktop is an alpha quality OS and if you want to use it, you must be ready to swap hardware, to file bug reports and help fix bugs which I've been doing for close to 25 years.

the solution you suggest is sell it and buy an AMD card... you're aware there may be other reasons they bought a NVIDIA card right? Do you honestly expect a written policy document on every reason someone has made a purchase and every tidbit of information neatly cataloged before they make a post?

can you not read back what you wrote and understand why people accuse you of flame-baiting, especially based on what the previous comment wrote.
                What precise reasons may I ask? According to the post "AMD hands down gives you a perfect experience under Linux while NVIDIA is nothing but bugs and troubles".

It's astonishing how you misread and misinterpreted every word I said. Sorry to say it, but I will abstain from seeing your comments ever again. I prefer to deal with people who don't make up baseless accusations, twist everything I say and even attribute the things I've never implied.

Let me end my comment with a couple of wonderful things you desperately wanna hear:

NVIDIA is a crap company, makes crap GPUs, it does everything to destroy Linux and its products are unusable on Linux.
                AMD is a second coming of Christ and the best friend of Linux.
                Linux has all the features and it has no bugs. If it has bugs they are only because of crap companies.

Hope you're happy.

Comment

Originally posted by vhaarr View Post

Yeah, same here. Exactly the same. Just to add to that, I've ran debian unstable/edge with some ubuntu (always latest devel) packages on top (I added ubuntu repos/packages with the very first release in 2004 or so), updated daily, for just as long. I've also ran firefox nightly for just as long (well, almost - obviously seamonkey before ff, but using daily builds directly from the tree that I built myself - I no longer build ff myself though, just use the nightly channel).

The difference with birdie is I started using gnome3 quite early after its release. Before that I ran xfce, and before that gnome2.

No problems. I've had 4 different nvidia gpus in that time and changed motherboard/CPU/etc at least 3 times.

I've never reinstalled linux. I've had problems with systemd updates 2-3 times that I can remember, and the same amount of times I've had to manually download a day old firefox nightly build because the latest one crashed instantly on startup.

Things just work. I also run multi-monitor and several weird USB peripherals. The reason people have problems with linux is because they use their distros prepackaged desktop umbrella packages, like the "ubuntu-desktop" package, or whatever the umbrella is. I've never used those.
                  Thank you even though some people will say you're my alter-ego or second/third account and you're shilling for me. That's how great the Linux community has become: "If you have NVIDIA you must have horrible problems by default and if you choose God bestowed AMD, everything will be perfect".

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Simple:

You wait until the driver is declared to be stable by nVidia & then just use the following PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

Please don't tell me that you have been using Ubuntu since at least 2012 but never had heard of this before...
                    i have this. But it will not allow me to install the 510 if so i choose, so my question remains

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post

i have this. But it will not allow me to install the 510 if so i choose, so my question remains
                      As you can see, 510 is not in the PPA yet. Give it a few more days.
                      But the rule of thumb stands: you want latest and greatest, Ubuntu isn't the way to get it.

Comment

Working...
                      X