Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 510.39.01 Linux Beta Brings Vulkan Dynamic Rendering, AV1 VDPAU Decode & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
    sudo dkms remove nvidia/495.46 -k all
    sudo update-initramfs -k all -u
    reboot to safe mode -> Choose "Networking" (to mount filesystems) -> choose root
    I prefer to install the driver using my own user, so
    su - username
    sudo ./NVIDIA-xxxxx.run
    Answer "YES" if you want to use DKMS, and YES to 32-bit libraries - NO to generating xorg.
    After the setup is done, you can install driver for other kernels if you are using it - eg. sudo dkms autoinstall -k 5.11.xxx (or whatever)
    Finish up by running
    sudo update-initramfs -k all -u
    I just wanted to add you need to ensure that you blacklist nouveau driver as well before rebooting to install via the .RUN file:

$ sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"
    $ sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"
    $ sudo update-initramfs -u

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
      Was it a good idea to buy a NVIDIA GPU?
      No. It sucks. I didn't touch any NVIDIA hardware for a decade after I ditched my old PC around 2012. Once I helped a friend to get PRIME going on his laptop and it wasn't pleasant experience. The support for NVIDIA hardware is worse than it remember it back in 2007. It was problematic to install, but it was running fine when configured properly. Now it's easy to install, but the experience with GNOME or KDE Plasma is just terrible. So NVIDIA...
      My question to you is; If you use OBS Studio, would you really be fine living without NVENC? At least in my experience, beyond the use cases for CUDA specific ML models, NVENC is one of the best things about recent NVIDIA GPUs, my understanding is that AMD's hardware encoding doesn't do that well in comparison. I feel like this along side with CUDA dominance in GPU compute, I think some of the pains on the NVIDIA side are worth living with, at least for me.

I would love to go for a full AMD system, but I just don't see it happening until at least RDNA3, I'll need to review all of these requirements then to see if it's worthwhile. In the meantime, sitting on my STRIX 2080 Super I bought for $789.97 seems like a pretty good deal right now given the current market.

Comment

Working...
      X