X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by greg View Post
    VDPAU has been adopted pretty well, I think. And that's not only because it's the only video acceleration API that really works, but ironically also because of NVidia's openness and help.

As far as the applications yes, it has been very well adopted. No argument there. So why are the other graphics players still pushing their own API's and not adopting one that already is established, deployed and works?

Code:
    /*
     * This copyright notice applies to this header file:
     * Copyright (c) 2008 NVIDIA Corporation
     * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
     * obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
     * files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
     * restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
     * copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
     * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
     * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following
     * conditions:
     * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
     * included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
     * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
     * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
     * OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
     * NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT
     * HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
     * WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
     * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
     * OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
     */
    They were handed the the golden goose and still they resist.
    Last edited by deanjo; 19 April 2009, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Why hasn't vdpau been adopted even though it's by far the most complete and mature solution out there?
    VDPAU has been adopted pretty well, I think. And that's not only because it's the only video acceleration API that really works, but ironically also because of NVidia's openness and help.

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Yeah, so will development unhindered by testing procedures. The 180.50 release somehow didn't work on 7xxx cards any more, and nobody noticed before release

as a nvidia user I always dread upgrading the nvidia-drivers. Regressions are way too common
    That's why 180.50/51 are pre-releases. These are specifically made to catch regressions.

Leave a comment:

• MaestroMaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
    Wtf are you talking about? There are no separate laptop/desktop drivers for Linux.
    Sorry, your right.

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    And this suprises you? Development when unhindered by politics usually will deliver results faster.
    Yeah, so will development unhindered by testing procedures. The 180.50 release somehow didn't work on 7xxx cards any more, and nobody noticed before release

as a nvidia user I always dread upgrading the nvidia-drivers. Regressions are way too common

Leave a comment:

• Dragoran
    replied
    Originally posted by MaestroMaus
    I wonder why new NV beta drivers for desktops (which most people should not use) get posted here, and NV stable drivers for Go cards (laptops) do not get posted here. Why is that?
    Wtf are you talking about? There are no separate laptop/desktop drivers for Linux.

Leave a comment:

• snogglethorpe
    replied
    Frankly, it doesn't matter how often nvidia releases a new driver -- their stuff is closed, and thus inherently limited by the amount of manpower they can personally throw at it, and their marketing department, and ...

Thank god ATI has taken a more sane path. Their users will win in the end.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "a license that stifles progress"; are you talking about the X11/MIT/BSD license there ?
    I'm talking about any license that prohibits any implementation of so called free code in any manner, shape or form. No, I'm not singling out the X11/MIT/BSD license but any license that restricts usage and interoperability. The BSD license is one of the less restrictive but still nowhere near the freedom one enjoys with truly free code such as projects like SQLite.

Remember the nvidia fallback patch? Pure political bullshit. Why hasn't vdpau been adopted even though it's by far the most complete and mature solution out there? Again more political bullshit. Or how about the time when they removed kernel code that they thought only would break the nvidia drivers? Only after did they find out that some oss projects did indeed use the same code (vbox in this case) did they temporarily put it back in to give time for the vbox to get their code up to snuff. Then there is the whole radeon vs radeonhd crap too.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    OK, so basically all the usual problems that come with a volunteer community.

I don't think it's really "Intel telling people what to do"... Keith was telling people what to do at SuSE, and at HP before that IIRC. He and Jim have been working on X for so long that I doubt anyone has a problem with him taking the lead on X... I don't know how many of the other X devs you have met but none of them seem to have much tolerance for being "told what to do" unless they agree with the proposed direction.

Not sure what you mean by "a license that stifles progress"; are you talking about the X11/MIT/BSD license there ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 19 April 2009, 12:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just curious, what are the "politics" everyone is talking about here ?
    Having to adhere to a license that stifles progress, having to debate endlessly about how to do crap and then having one party say screw that we will start over and go another route, development in area's that interest the developers (useless things like plymouth) instead of things that end users want (ummm video playback comes to mind), or how about the endless "we don't use it so fsck you, we don't care if it can help you" replies and in the case of Xorg, having to wait until intel tells what the others should do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X