No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 495.44 Linux Driver Released With GBM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know why text looks blurry, it is called fractional scaling.

This doesn't just happen at random, Plasma just looks like a big blur to me. Press the meta key to open the panel and behold the blurry text.

I work on a 65" screen, if there is one thing that bothers me it is blurry text... even Windows has this issue!

Comment

• Originally posted by sfjuocekr View Post
      I know why text looks blurry, it is called fractional scaling.
      I've only really used KDE in VMs and I don't think I could get scaling working at all for some reason. I use Gnome 41 and it looks good to me but I'm pretty positive all Wayland compositors do scaling the same way, the Apple way, which is so render at 2x scale and resize down. I'm guess what you consider blurry and what I consider blurry just differ.

Here's what text looks like on scaled monitor for me for Wayland native applications(left) and XWayland (right): https://i.imgur.com/ma107JD.png

Of course since that's an image of text and not the text itself, both will be be bilinearly upscaled and thus blurry if you view them on a scaled monitor. You have to view them on a native DPI monitor where they'll be larger in size then I see them but sharper. Is that the kind of font rendering you see on your end?

I tried looking up examples of KDE's fractional scaling in Wayland but all I found were super zoomed-in examples.

Comment

• Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Curious to know: which problems?

From my years-long experience of using nVidia GPUs in my HTPCs, I've never encountered any problems whatsoever.
        On the contrary, 'nvidia-settings' allows me to easily set the color range to 'limited' [studio levels], so that blacks are not crushed & whites not overblown.

And just to put this into perspective:
        AMDGPU still doesn't have this very basic support after all these years:

bridgman
        Anyone left over at AMD that still cares about the above issue?
        I don't know what setup you are using, but all my 3000 series graphics cards when plugging into any HDMI device do not wake up from power off. If you turn the TV off, or it shuts it self off from lack of signal or something the picture doesn't come back. You have to completely reset your computer. Pretty annoying.

Comment

I know why text looks blurry, it is called fractional scaling.

This doesn't just happen at random, Plasma just looks like a big blur to me. Press the meta key to open the panel and behold the blurry text.

I work on a 65" screen, if there is one thing that bothers me it is blurry text... even Windows has this issue!
          What you described is probably an issue from the panel you have and not Plasma.

Comment

I know why text looks blurry .... [yada yada]
            I work on a 65" screen....
            Found the issue for you, that's like <70 DPI @ 4K, which is pretty pants by modern standards.

Comment

Working...
            X