Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    Done, it's done. Xorg officially dead
    Until you need to share your screen via zoom for work, in Wayland using KDE...

Comment

Just updated using nvidia-all tkg PKGBUILD, the stable release feels a little bit more polished compared to the beta, however OpenGL flickering hasn't been fixed, VS Codium crashes straight away with the HW acceleration enabled. None of these bugs matter though, because Sway feels extraordinary fast and smooth compared to i3, AND it also consumes less CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        you cannot use nvidia-settings
        Seriously, who gives a damn about this? Most of the interesting application profiles or settings, like forcing FXAA in a certain game or force VSync disabled, don't work in most Linux games. The only thing you get in nvidia-settings is a nice UI for setting the resolution and rotation.

On the other hand, with Wayland you get a much better desktop experience, IMO. Everything is snappier and works on point. The only drawback as far as EGL backend is concerned is gaming performance, let's hope things change with GBM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          There you go, guys... was that really so hard?
          It's not about "hard" it's mostly about money. NVIDIA had to justify wasting it in order to add support for Wayland. I believe fewer than 5% of all Linux users run Wayland at the moment and of those 5%, close to 95% run Gnome which means I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was RedHat which gently pushed NVIDIA to support Wayland properly:

So over the last Months we been having a great collaboration with NVidia around closing this gap, with them working closely with us in fixing issues in their driver while we have been fixing bugs and missing pieces in the rest of the stack.
          This might sound exciting until you realize that perhaps only RedHat has the resources and people to work with NVIDIA while all other DEs and WMs do not, so full Wayland support is still up in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

Seriously, who gives a damn about this? Most of the interesting application profiles or settings, like forcing FXAA in a certain game or force VSync disabled, don't work in most Linux games. The only thing you get in nvidia-settings is a nice UI for setting the resolution and rotation.

On the other hand, with Wayland you get a much better desktop experience, IMO. Everything is snappier and works on point. The only drawback as far as EGL backend is concerned is gaming performance, let's hope things change with GBM.
            Can you elaborate on "better experience" please? I'm running XFCE under X.org obviously and I have zero things to complain about. No tearing, no weird bugs, nothing to report.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post

Until you need to share your screen via zoom for work, in Wayland using KDE...
              All browsers support WebRTC via pipewire. In the worst case you can use v4lloopback module with obs to share the screen as a webcam.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                What should I do with my GTX 680?
                Linus knows what you should do with it.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTEyMTc

I would say sell it on Ebay and get an AMD or (when they are released) Intel Arc card so you can live free from the constraints of the closed driver.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Can you elaborate on "better experience" please? I'm running XFCE under X.org obviously and I have zero things to complain about. No tearing, no weird bugs, nothing to report.
                  I know this is a weird issue that no one notices, but there's an issue with input on X11. Both firefox and chromium have it. Other apps have it too, but harder to trigger.
                  If you click on something and your mouse moves while clicking, the button release event sometimes doesn't register, dragging a web page element until next click. When I enable wayland in firefox or chromium, the bug doesn't happen. It's really annoying to me. I told my friend who never noticed that bug, and he was able to repeat it. It even happens under Xwayland.
                  Last edited by Ilya_MZP; 26 October 2021, 06:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                    Seriously, who gives a damn about this?
                    I do. Configuration should always be easy and up front. A graphics card without a UI to control it is an incomplete product.

Comment

Ignoring the GBM part, doesn't this mean nvidia now supports dmabuf? which means we can now do zero copy webcam recording for better performance/cpu usage and also since vaapi requires dmabuf, maybe we will get vaapi (for video encoding) on nvidia? right now gpu accelerated screen recorders with nvidia need to use nvidia specific code using cuda and nvenc and for other platforms you use dmabuf and vaapi.

Comment

Working...
                      X