X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's hope rpmfusion catches up quickly

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Can you elaborate on "better experience" please? I'm running XFCE under X.org obviously and I have zero things to complain about. No tearing, no weird bugs, nothing to report.
      I mean windows not lagging behind mouse pointer when moving/resizing, and menus displaying much faster than with X11.

Comment

Does anyone know if this is going to help with Wayland on Optimus laptops? Or about the status of Wayland on Optimus laptops in general with the proprietary driver?

Not sure if I'm just blind or what but when I try searching basically all I see is either one or the other but never both together (or if they are it's nothing concrete or it's talking about nouveau or AMD). Last time I tried it myself nothing worked when I try to run them on NVIDIA, both Wayland native apps and XWayland stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Works much better with touch devices (I'm not sure what didn't work on x11, but wayland was a lot better) . Also those one-to-one gestures are quite satisfying and comfortable to use.

Also playing videos using vlc on intel's 10th gen mobile chips is stuttery on x11 (not sure about the experience with other devices/players)
          I have a sixth gen Intel Core laptop and I have no stuttering while playing videos under X.org and gestures work just fine.

So, it looks like you had some specific bugs not related to X.org directly and since you were not invested in figuring it all out, you automatically blame X.org for them. Sorry, doesn't work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

I mean windows not lagging behind mouse pointer when moving/resizing, and menus displaying much faster than with X11.
            I'm not affected by any of these issues while having "bad" proprietary NVIDIA drivers. In fact I'm hearing about all of this for the first time.

Comment

I'm not affected by any of these issues while having "bad" proprietary NVIDIA drivers. In fact I'm hearing about all of this for the first time.
              That's funny, because that's not an Nvidia problem, it's an X11 problem. Intel and AMD behave like this as well.

If you never noticed, maybe you are using Xfce without any compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                Let's hope rpmfusion catches up quickly
                yep, first nv release since i started using their akmod nvidia package.

Comment

It's not about "hard" it's mostly about money. NVIDIA had to justify wasting it in order to add support for Wayland. I believe fewer than 5% of all Linux users run Wayland at the moment and of those 5%, close to 95% run Gnome which means I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was RedHat which gently pushed NVIDIA to support Wayland properly:
                  Except there is a huge flaw in your argument the x.org baremetal generic driver "modesetting" for X11 x.org server requires all the same features. Yes KMS support and GBM. This support was in fact required so that in cases of x.org server API changes that users were not left in a non functional area.

So birdie Nvidia has not been support properly 100 percent of all Linux/freebsd Nvidia users. Nvidia has had a long term stubborn of not wanting to follow the other leads. Yes this has stopped features like the ability for X11 server to restart without causing applications to stop. Yes eglstreams under wayland you restart the compositor and the buffers allocated by the compositor passed to application would go away. Under X11 if you had applications that would reconnect they would run into the same problem that if the X11 server restarted that restarted the Nvidia X11 user mode driver this would also kill the allocated memory.

Next you want to run headless you want to alter the clock of your GPU Nvidia you have to run the X11 server. This is not good at all. Yes you have this big supper computer with highly expensive nvidia modules and you have to run x.org X11 server so you can reclock the GPU this includes down clock them to generate less heat. Thinking large number of Nvidia sales to Linux users are for items that are headless the fact they have second rate support here really means they have not properly cared.

birdie the requirements need for Wayland are what you need to support x11 x.org server properly on baremetal. Yes there are also other items like gpu clock and power control that need to be fixed up. Intel and AMD GPU clock and power control is in the kernel drivers and can be used without X11 loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Except there is a huge flaw in your argument the x.org baremetal generic driver "modesetting" for X11 x.org server requires all the same features. Yes KMS support and GBM. This support was in fact required so that in cases of x.org server API changes that users were not left in a non functional area.
                    Just until recently modesettings driver was Linux only invention, what were the point of supporting it if the rest of supported systems require non-modesetting driver?

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                      That's funny, because that's not an Nvidia problem, it's an X11 problem.
                      It was a case of kernel regressing user space with legacy APIs of atomic modesetting and the work to make Xorg atomic to avoid that issue was discontinued.
                      Though these stalls when new windows appear etc. are much, much worse with prop. Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X