NVIDIA 495 Linux Beta Driver Released With GBM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
    So, what is necessary to get Wayland working with GBM on Ubuntu 20.04?

- This Driver
    - Latest Mesa through ppa???
    - Latest x.org through ppa???
    I'm also confused on this because we were promised wayland on nvidia with 21.10 and it is almost out.

Comment

I am seeing a performance increase in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider of approximately 3-4 extra fps on a 3070, indicative that the resize bar smart access stuff is working. Which is about the same gain I saw on a RX 6800XT, had to send it back 'bellied up )-: and by that time its price went through the roof even higher' but am now with a 3070.

Dishonored 2 went from playable to extremely playable with this driver, that being said, even the RX 6800 XT had some serious issues with that game across several cards in the 6000's series by multiple different owners. Dishonored 2 is also in my opinion one of those games that will really test the strength of a GPU aside from the opinion of mine that to date is one of the best games ever made.

Perhaps I ended up with a card that is better suited for my gaming needs, $1,400 was honestly pretty steep, don't know why the 6800XT failed. $1,000 for a 3070 in the current market is pretty fair.

I think it is likely that we will see both Nvidia and AMD to have pretty decent performance increases with this newer generation set of cards with SAM. Both most likely will see lots of things fixed.
      Last edited by creative; 14 October 2021, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Let's see whether it's "fine" or properly working. I'm definitely waiting for initial tests!

Comment

Hopefully there won't be any stutters/diagonal tearing while gaming on xwayland with this driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            Now desktops can finally drop that horrendous EGLStreams backend.
            Or can't they because of Kepler compatibility that was dropped with this driver. Well, but I'd personally drop eglstreams support in compositors. Xorg will still be kind of usable for a long time.

I was hoping for the changelog to be a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by henrik View Post
              Thank you.

Comment

I wonder whether PRIME Offloading will now work the same way as any Mesa driver does.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Or can't they because of Kepler compatibility that was dropped with this driver.
                  DEs can drop EGLStreams support and just require that people on older Nvidia cards use older versions of the DE.

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
                    Sheeeeeeeeeeit!

Does it mean that Wayland will finally happen? ;-)
                    Wayland hasn't even figured out fractional scaling so far. Nvidia is not what's holding it back.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Wayland hasn't even figured out fractional scaling so far.
                      That hasn't stopped compositors from implementing it and implementing it well. I've used fractional scaling under Windows, Gnome w/ X11, and Gnome w/ Wayland and Gnome with Wayland has had by far the best fractional scaling I've used. I don't even have the same amount of scaling across monitors and it works really well.

What are you comparing it to that suggests Wayland is holding itself back?

Comment

Working...
                      X