No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470.74 Linux Driver Released With Several Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh, I thought the Wayland/GBM stuff was already in this 470 series. I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my new Thinkpad T15g v2 (nvidia based), and I'm having heaps of issues with suspend/resume while using just the external monitor via my Thunderbolt dock, which I think all got worse after the last nvidia driver upgrade. Hopefully this fixes some of that. Half the time the thing won't stay asleep, or the external screen doesn't resume, or it looks stretched and only shows half the screen - it seems to change every five minutes and just be super flaky. Been thinking I might have to try the Ubuntu 21.10 beta and see if Wayland is any better - though I guess I should wait if the GBM stuff isn't released yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
      Huh, I thought the Wayland/GBM stuff was already in this 470 series.
      470 added support for DMA-Buf. The Mesa PRs that Nvidia's GBM drivers will rely on weren't merged until about a month after 470 came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

470 added support for DMA-Buf. The Mesa PRs that Nvidia's GBM drivers will rely on weren't merged until about a month after 470 came out.
        Thanks. Any idea what Mesa version I gotta make sure I have? I wonder if Ubuntu 21.10 pulled that in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post

Thanks. Any idea what Mesa version I gotta make sure I have? I wonder if Ubuntu 21.10 pulled that in yet.
          The driver doesn't have support for GBM yet. I think it will require at least mesa 21.2 when it launches (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Alternate-GBM).

Comment

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post

The driver doesn't have support for GBM yet. I think it will require at least mesa 21.2 when it launches (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Alternate-GBM).
            21.2, thanks!

I just saw the article talking about how Fedora has been working on the nvidia stuff for version 35 and working with Lenovo. I mean, I just got this new Thinkpad, so that's pretty sweet. A long time Fedora/RHEL user, I'm still ticked over CentOS/Stream, and figured I'd also try Ubuntu also for it's built in ZFS which I use - but it may turn out that's easier to patch into Fedora. Might have to jump back lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

With nvidia it's the other way around, you need a driver update if Xorg ABI changes or kernel gets updates.
              Which is rarer and the NVidia drivers often support multiple versions of kernel

Comment

Just wait for nVidia to drop supporting your GPU from their proprietary Linux drivers.

Once dropped, you're GPU will eventually become dysfunctional.

Not a week goes by, and somehow Xorg/Chrome with nVidia proprietary driver spinlocks the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

You still have to wait for your distribution to update the Kernel and also this backporting isn't always guaranteed. And if you are on an older stable LTS distro, well good luck then.
                  Lol no you don't. It's incredibly trivial to build a new kernel from source, even as a native package in every distro flavor I am familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Lol no you don't. It's incredibly trivial to build a new kernel from source, even as a native package in every distro flavor I am familiar with.
                    And you need all the rest of the graphics stack rebuilt to support new kernel's features. It is not enough to add just kernel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                      Just wait for nVidia to drop supporting your GPU from their proprietary Linux drivers.

Once dropped, you're GPU will eventually become dysfunctional.

Not a week goes by, and somehow Xorg/Chrome with nVidia proprietary driver spinlocks the CPU.
                      NVIDIA normally supports its GPUs for more than eight years and at this point they become too slow for modern games which is still a lot more than AMD offers. Of course I'm talking about Windows, a gaming platform.

In Linux you can use older kernel releases which extend the support range even further. RHEL 8 which is free for personal use, supports roughly 15 years old NVIDIA GPUs. Not sure what more you need from NVIDIA.

Comment

Working...
                      X