Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Confirms Sway Wayland Compositor Works Fine With Their New GBM Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Project started in 2008 and being basically first major attempt to replace X11 created in 80's is nowhere around "every time Linux developers create something new and shiny". Lack of support from big GPU vendor wasn't very encouraging to migrating either.
    100% false. The current X server project, XOrg was a complete revamp and largely a rewrite of the original X11 project whose last major release was X11R6. Released in ~2004. You think XOrg is bad, X11 was a nightmare

Comment

This is good news.
      Maybe finally we can move on to Wayland, despite the missing features from Nvidia. These can come later. It may be 12 years to late, but that is the past. I remember reading about Mir and Wayland in 2010. Now its finally here. YAY.

Comment

Hopefully this work comes with an improved modesetting driver too. It’ll be interesting to see if nvidia will be taking part in the revamped SteamOS that’ll arrive when steam deck launches. Valve have described it as a platform rather than simply a single console ecosystem.

Comment

In the mean time, Wayland needs to implement tearing to be truly reliable for competitive gaming.
          This protocol is meant to be used by drivers to be able to hint to the compositor if and when it should employ asynchronous page flips for presentation....

Comment

Please, Universe, grant me one day where NVIDIA/AMD/Intel/X.org/Wayland related thread is not contaminated by birdie's (avem's) meltdowns and entitled, pseudo self-righteous fanboy opinions. Please.

Comment

Fucking finally, how many years has it taken?!

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
              In the mean time, Wayland needs to implement tearing to be truly reliable for competitive gaming.
              One of the main features of wayland is that htere is no tearing

But sure, having the option for those who actually want it couldn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCool View Post
                Not exactly, AMD does provide fully functional blobs to operate, with many sensitive options like overclock. AMDGPU vs AMDGPU-PRO are very similar in terms of performance.
                So, both have signed blobs, only NVIDIA refuses to distribute theirs. I'm glad we have agreed on that.

Originally posted by WalterCool View Post
                It's not resenting, it's more like doing things according to the platform. They took very unnecessary business decisions to avoid breaking their Quadro/Geforce market, while Linux is still a 1% marketshare in gaming, it's huge in scientific, data analysis, rendering and of course, servers. AMD made the investment since a while, but not the case for Nvidia.
                Most of the things you've listed work in X.org or plain console, so NVIDIA wasn't that invested in supporting Wayland. I'm not even sure why they are doing it now. I guess it's mostly due to their PR department.
                Last edited by avem; 05 September 2021, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  I don't think they care if you'll never use it.
                  Of course they don't, they didn't care about dozens of stupid issues and limitations over the past years. Maybe I'll just wipe Linux completely then and just use WSL, or maybe buy AMD or Intel again when more bleeding-edge stuff works on Linux. But certainly not use Nvidia on native Linux, what a f*cking nightmare this is...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    When this happens the transition era to Wayland will be able to proceed towards the end. Nvidia has been one of the major responsible of the delay together with a kind of reluctance in some linux Oses developers to face the change in their own desktop environments, apps and frameworks in order to make them compliant to Wayland. My modest suggestion is to invest efforts in the conversion of all the linux software such as both Fedora (gnome) and Kde (plasma) teams are making. Fedora has now almost completed this process. Once reached the point, the deprecated Xorg can be decommissioned.
                    Cant say that I fully agree with you there. Yes Nvidia has been obstinate and belligerent but so have quite a number of wayland devs (aka, sway, gnome, etc.). Nvidia did have a lets say "functional" alternative solution that would let wayland work and most devs threw a hissyfit and said never! KDE for example has had support for wayland on Nvidia for a while now (perhaps for loose definitions of functional).

It could very well have been made to work. Was it the best way? No I would agree with you there. It is nice that Nvidia is listening to the Linux desktop group and implementing an easier path forward that is standardized across the big three vendors at least now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Whatever, I only buy AMD and Intel since I ditched Nvidia many years ago.
                      Whatever, I won't buy Intel anymore until they can get their act together and deliver proper CPU's like AMD *and* have decent Wayland support. I still can't get Wayland to work on my Intel-only hardware on, so their support is crap. (it doesn't work on multiple distros, so it's not a distro bug)

Comment

Working...
                      X