Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Confirms Sway Wayland Compositor Works Fine With Their New GBM Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Confirms Sway Wayland Compositor Works Fine With Their New GBM Driver Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Confirms Sway Wayland Compositor Works Fine With Their New GBM Driver Support

Stemming from an ongoing Mesa GBM discussion over introducing new gbm_bo_create_with_modifiers2 / gbm_surface_create_with_modifiers2 functions since the original "gbm_*_create_with_modifiers" functions lack support for passing usage flags, NVIDIA confirmed that the Sway Wayland compositor is working fine with their forthcoming driver supporting GBM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The result of prior ignorance with EGLStreams (instead of adopting the already-standard GBM).
    Sway developer deliberately left NVIDIA support out. I can't wait to see his reaction.

Take that, NVIDIA!

Comment

Whatever, I only buy AMD and Intel since I ditched Nvidia many years ago.

Comment

So, lets revisit that.

First, ignore invitations on creating a standard, do not show up.
        Second, claim the standard is bad and your (actually not fit for the task) thing is better.
        Third, claiming to want to create a better standard to make everyone happy while not asking anyone on their opinion.
        Fourth, giving that up and use the original standard that was the best solution from the beginning.

Comment

It will still be utterly incomplete if they don't implement
          -Vulkan mailbox present mode (everything seems to be forced into fifo mode...)
          -is VRR property even implemented for Nvidia DRM modesetting driver?
          -is any kind of GPU gamma ramps support implemented for Nvidia DRM modesetting driver?
          -there don't seem to be any overclock options on Nvidia Wayland (xorg rootless also doesn't work, WTF, and even then there is no real undervolting possible)
          -Nvidia DRM modesetting driver doesn't seem to offer any kind of custom EDID interface
          -Does manual fan control work on Wayland?

I will never use it if stays that incomplete...

Comment

Well... We will say that it's a first step ! Too bad nvidia took so much time to change its mind...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              -is any kind of GPU gamma ramps support implemented for Nvidia DRM modesetting driver?
              -there don't seem to be any overclock options on Nvidia Wayland (xorg rootless also doesn't work, WTF, and even then there is no real undervolting possible)
              -Nvidia DRM modesetting driver doesn't seem to offer any kind of custom EDID interface

By the time Wayland is ready and Xorg is finally dead and really not maintained to any capacity, NVIDIA drivers might as well support all these features.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Whatever, I only buy AMD and Intel since I ditched Nvidia many years ago.
                Good for you.

About the actually topic: This is great. I'm happy Nvidia is going to be releasing a GBM driver. It's great news for Linux, it's great news for Wayland adoption, and great new for developers. Can't wait until it comes out.
                Last edited by Myownfriend; 04 September 2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

When this happens the transition era to Wayland will be able to proceed towards the end. Nvidia has been one of the major responsible of the delay together with a kind of reluctance in some linux Oses developers to face the change in their own desktop environments, apps and frameworks in order to make them compliant to Wayland. My modest suggestion is to invest efforts in the conversion of all the linux software such as both Fedora (gnome) and Kde (plasma) teams are making. Fedora has now almost completed this process. Once reached the point, the deprecated Xorg can be decommissioned.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post

Kernel and then wayland should get those features first before nvidia could implement them

Comment

Working...
                    X