Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Confirms Sway Wayland Compositor Works Fine With Their New GBM Driver Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    So, lets revisit that.

    First, ignore invitations on creating a standard, do not show up.
    Second, claim the standard is bad and your (actually not fit for the task) thing is better.
    Third, claiming to want to create a better standard to make everyone happy while not asking anyone on their opinion.
    Fourth, giving that up and use the original standard that was the best solution from the beginning.
    Can Gnome and KDE now depreciate the EGLStreams backend?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by d3coder View Post
      Kernel and then wayland should get those features first before nvidia could implement them
      Kernel and wayland support for Vulkan mailbox, VRR property and EDID loading is already in place for non-Nvidia hardware. The last thing should work regardless of Nvidia prop. drivers being installed or not, since it's a plain drm kernel module thing.

      Comment


      • #13

        Comment


        • #14
          Already moved away from Nvidia, their lack of support to Nouveau, their mandatory signed firmware since Pascal architecture, their over 6 years attempts with EGLStreams... finally made me move to AMD laptops. This year AMD finally did competitive tier computers, and AMD (Mesa) support is great.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by WalterCool View Post
            Already moved away from Nvidia, their lack of support to Nouveau, their mandatory signed firmware since Pascal architecture, their over 6 years attempts with EGLStreams... finally made me move to AMD laptops. This year AMD finally did competitive tier computers, and AMD (Mesa) support is great.
            They never supported nouveau anyways, what has changed recently? I'm a lot more interested in firmware which can finally unlock their new GPUs.
            Mandatory signed firmware? AMD has been doing just the same for the past six years or so.
            6 years of attempts with what? Absolute most Linux users in 2021 use X.org. Do you expect a major private company with very specific corporate needs jump onto a hot new bandwagon every time Linux developers create something new and shiny with no software, stability and compatibility behind it? Only in 2021 we're getting the second full-featured DE for Wayland - KDE. Before that it was either Gnome or bust.

            It's great AMD works for you. I just wonder why you still care having left NVIDIA for good? According to you, NVIDIA is a crap company with bad products and support for an OS with below 2% market share. Always keep that in mind before resenting.
            Last edited by avem; 04 September 2021, 06:01 PM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by avem View Post

              They never supported nouveau anyways, what has changed recently? I'm a lot more interested in firmware which can finally unlock their new GPUs.
              Mandatory signed firmware? AMD has been doing just the same for the past six years or so.
              6 years of attempts with what? Absolute most Linux users in 2021 use X.org. Do you expect a major private company with very specific corporate needs jump onto a hot new bandwagon every time Linux developers create something new and shiny with no software, stability and compatibility behind it? Only in 2021 we're getting the second full-featured DE for Wayland - KDE. Before that it was either Gnome or bust.

              It's great AMD works for you. I just wonder why you still care having left NVIDIA for good? According to you, NVIDIA is a crap company with bad products and support for an OS with below 2% market share. Always keep that in mind before resenting.
              Project started in 2008 and being basically first major attempt to replace X11 created in 80's is nowhere around "every time Linux developers create something new and shiny". Lack of support from big GPU vendor wasn't very encouraging to migrating either.

              And still Nvidia wasn't able to push their own "standard" in this 2% irrelevant OS. EGL Streams was supposed to be better than GBM and now they are moving to GBM which will basically make EGL Streams abandoned sooner or later.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                EGL Streams was supposed to be better than GBM and now they are moving to GBM which will basically make EGL Streams abandoned sooner or later.
                EGL Streams was never adopted by anyone as far as i know outside nVidia(and maybe some forgotten ARM project) for the same reason stated for every developer that tried, so it will all die tightly in-house.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by avem View Post
                  AMD has been doing just the same for the past six years or so.
                  Not exactly, AMD does provide fully functional blobs to operate, with many sensitive options like overclock. AMDGPU vs AMDGPU-PRO are very similar in terms of performance.

                  Originally posted by avem View Post
                  6 years of attempts with what? Absolute most Linux users in 2021 use X.org. Do you expect a major private company with very specific corporate needs jump onto a hot new bandwagon every time Linux developers create something new and shiny with no software, stability and compatibility behind it? Only in 2021 we're getting the second full-featured DE for Wayland - KDE. Before that it was either Gnome or bust.
                  I been using XWayland since a while, you don't need of Xorg for that. People at Gnome use Wayland by default last years.

                  Originally posted by avem View Post
                  It's great AMD works for you. I just wonder why you still care having left NVIDIA for good? According to you, NVIDIA is a crap company with bad products and support for an OS with below 2% market share. Always keep that in mind before resenting.
                  It's not resenting, it's more like doing things according to the platform. They took very unnecessary business decisions to avoid breaking their Quadro/Geforce market, while Linux is still a 1% marketshare in gaming, it's huge in scientific, data analysis, rendering and of course, servers. AMD made the investment since a while, but not the case for Nvidia.

                  You can run a fully working AMD computer without accepting any license, out-of-box. We can't say the same for Nvidia.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by avem View Post
                    Absolute most Linux users in 2021 use X.org.
                    So? Anything that's newer will likely have a smaller marketshare than the thing it's replacing at first.

                    Originally posted by avem View Post
                    Do you expect a major private company with very specific corporate needs jump onto a hot new bandwagon every time Linux developers create something new and shiny with no software, stability and compatibility behind it?
                    You're confusing a bunch of things here. They were never against Wayland, they were against GBM and wanted people to use EGLStreams. That's why they literally wrote the EGLStreams backends for KDE so that there was some way Nvidia cards to run Wayland.

                    And it's interesting that you say they have their own specific needs because their needs include a development kit for their Tegra platform, and as part of that platform, they have GBM support. You know this because I literally just told you this in a previous topic.

                    https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/i...tson_nano.html

                    The TX1 came out in 2015 but I don't know how long they've used GBM. It's at least a year though.

                    Originally posted by avem View Post
                    Only in 2021 we're getting the second full-featured DE for Wayland - KDE. Before that it was either Gnome or bust.
                    Yes, the largest one (Gnome), the second largest one (KDE), but also Sway, and Enlightenment, too.

                    Originally posted by avem View Post
                    It's great AMD works for you. I just wonder why you still care having left NVIDIA for good?
                    Because they realize that Nvidia supporting GBM is great for adoption of Linux and Wayland. That's incredibly simple to unpack.

                    Originally posted by avem View Post
                    According to you, NVIDIA is a crap company with bad products and support for an OS with below 2% market share. Always keep that in mind before resenting.
                    Why are you so offended on behalf of a giant corporation? Also why are you here, Birdie?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      That's all very nice, but does it perpetuate the glorious NVIDIA tradition of...
                      • Breaking suspend/resume?
                      • Draining the battery?
                      • Breaking on each kernel update?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X