No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470.63.01 Linux Driver Brings RTX A2000, Vulkan Wayland Surface Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470.63.01 Linux Driver Brings RTX A2000, Vulkan Wayland Surface Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470.63.01 Linux Driver Brings RTX A2000, Vulkan Wayland Surface Support

NVIDIA today released their latest stable driver update in the 470 series for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope this time is support kernel 5.14-rc.. stuck in 5.13.

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post
      Hope this time is support kernel 5.14-rc.. stuck in 5.13.
      I don't think Nvidia supports non-released kernels...

Comment

Maybe is debian team that add support and sometime is work with rc, but for now still nothing for 5.14.

Edit: i downloaded from nvidia site and it's work with kernel 5.14-rc.
        Last edited by kripteks; 12 August 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

So are there any other blockers to proper Wayland/xwayland support for Nvidia cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            So are there any other blockers to proper Wayland/xwayland support for Nvidia cards?
            Originally posted by https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-GBM-Mesa-Backend-Alt
            NVIDIA has proposed a merge request to Mesa that would lay the infrastructure for allowing alternative GBM (Generic Buffer Manager) back-ends to be loaded, such as for NVIDIA's proprietary driver should it presumably implement GBM in the future.
            I think GBM is still a work in progress from NVidia...

Comment

This update allows Wayland Vulkan WSI to work on Nvidia!

But there are still some ugly issues:

For instance Half Life 2 and probably other native Linux Source games run with a black screen under XWayland + Gnome/Mutter with Nvidia drivers. Wayland and XWayland games under GNOME w/ Nvidia are locked to 57 Hz on a 60 Hz display with frametime instability that leads to slightly jerky gameplay / not silky smooth framerate.

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 10 August 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                Wayland and XWayland games under GNOME w/ Nvidia are locked to 57 Hz on a 60 Hz display with frametime instability that leads to slightly jerky gameplay / not silky smooth framerate.

Is that resolved by running the game full screen, or will GNOME still "interfere" (if that is right word to use) ?

Comment

At least some news about nvidia and wayland hoping for the upcoming GBM integration.

Comment

Unfortunately still waiting on the GBM drop...

Love swaywm and I can't use nouveau on my NoVideo card.

Comment

Working...
                    X