No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470.63.01 Linux Driver Brings RTX A2000, Vulkan Wayland Surface Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470.63.01 Linux Driver Brings RTX A2000, Vulkan Wayland Surface Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470.63.01 Linux Driver Brings RTX A2000, Vulkan Wayland Surface Support

NVIDIA today released their latest stable driver update in the 470 series for Linux users...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...70.63.01-Linux

Hope this time is support kernel 5.14-rc.. stuck in 5.13.

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post
      Hope this time is support kernel 5.14-rc.. stuck in 5.13.
      I don't think Nvidia supports non-released kernels...

Comment

Maybe is debian team that add support and sometime is work with rc, but for now still nothing for 5.14.

Edit: i downloaded from nvidia site and it's work with kernel 5.14-rc.
        Last edited by kripteks; 12 August 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

So are there any other blockers to proper Wayland/xwayland support for Nvidia cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            So are there any other blockers to proper Wayland/xwayland support for Nvidia cards?
            Originally posted by https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-GBM-Mesa-Backend-Alt
            NVIDIA has proposed a merge request to Mesa that would lay the infrastructure for allowing alternative GBM (Generic Buffer Manager) back-ends to be loaded, such as for NVIDIA's proprietary driver should it presumably implement GBM in the future.
            I think GBM is still a work in progress from NVidia...

Comment

This update allows Wayland Vulkan WSI to work on Nvidia!

But there are still some ugly issues:

For instance Half Life 2 and probably other native Linux Source games run with a black screen under XWayland + Gnome/Mutter with Nvidia drivers. Wayland and XWayland games under GNOME w/ Nvidia are locked to 57 Hz on a 60 Hz display with frametime instability that leads to slightly jerky gameplay / not silky smooth framerate.

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 10 August 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                Wayland and XWayland games under GNOME w/ Nvidia are locked to 57 Hz on a 60 Hz display with frametime instability that leads to slightly jerky gameplay / not silky smooth framerate.

Is that resolved by running the game full screen, or will GNOME still "interfere" (if that is right word to use) ?

Comment

At least some news about nvidia and wayland hoping for the upcoming GBM integration.

Comment

Unfortunately still waiting on the GBM drop...

Love swaywm and I can't use nouveau on my NoVideo card.

Comment

Working...
                    X