NVIDIA Talks Up RTX Capabilities On Arm - Showcased Using Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Talks Up RTX Capabilities On Arm - Showcased Using Arch Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA Talks Up RTX Capabilities On Arm - Showcased Using Arch Linux

NVIDIA announced from the Game Developers Conference this week that they have been working to bring RTX ray-tracing support with their graphics cards to also work on Arm hardware running Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a little surprised they aren't showcasing this on their own CPUs (or does Nvidia now own MediaTek?)
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 19 July 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm a little surprised they aren't showcasing this on their own CPUs (or does Nvidia now own MediaTek?)
      Nvidia does not own Mediatek, but they have a strategic partnership with them. Until Orin launches, Nvidia's own CPUs (Xavier) are fairly obsolete and have some somewhat unusual performance characteristics (due to being a code-morphing design), whereas Mediatek is using new and fancy ARM IP (Cortex-A78.)

Comment

Wouldn't it be Arch Linux ARM instead of Arch Linux. The later does not have an arm version and Alarm is a completely separate distro.

Comment

How does one obtain a Linux / ARM64 version of Wolfenstein: Youngblood?

It seems to me that game companies have internal Linux builds, but they don't bother with releasing them to general public.

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
            It seems to me that game companies have internal Linux builds, but they don't bother with releasing them to general public.
            The amount of people playing desktop (non-browser) games on ARM is likely less than that of people playing desktop games on Linux. Potentially not if you include ARM based Macs. Even the modern consoles from Sony and Microsoft are x86 based, including the recently announced SteamDeck.

This was likely done as a partnership development for the future, but you're unlikely to see anything come out right now. It's not like consumers can go out an purchase ARM systems with the discrete graphics necessary for this.

Cheers,
            Mike
            Last edited by mroche; 19 July 2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

The joys of proprietary development. All fun and secret behind closed doors.

Comment

I don't believe so, this would be a waste of resources.

Comment

They had announced a partnership with MediaTek, but I'm a little surprised to see a MediaTek platform with a RTX 3060 up and running quite so soon. I wish we had more details on the SoC!

I fully expected to see this using one of Nvidia's own ARM-based SoC's, some of which have PCIe lanes for connecting a dGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
                    Even the modern consoles from Sony and Microsoft are x86 based, including the recently announced SteamDeck.
                    How convenient that you skipped Nintendo Switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X